Why the lack of RSPB reserves in North East England

I started a thread on in another part of the forum, but did'nt get any replys. I've often wondered why their is a lack of RSPB reserves in North East England and by that i mean Northumberland, Tyne And Wear, Durham and Cleveland. In fact until there was Saltholme a few years ago in Cleveland, there was for many years just Coquet Island of the coast of Northumberland. Compare that to North West England or Yorkshire where their are quite a mumber of reserves. Also Norfolk and Suffolk where are quite a large number of RSPB reserves to visit and also a number of reserves in Cambridgeshire. Can someone from the RSPB or moderator answer that question and as i live in Gateshead theres only Saltholme that i can visit in North East England on a property that belongs to the RSPB, as their is no access allowed on Coquet Island.

Ian.

Regards,

Ian.

• Apparantly since I first started this thread I do know that the RSPB had been involved in negotiations for 2 new reserve in either Northumberland, County Durham or Tyne and Wear, but sadly those negotiations didn’t come to fruition. So yet again I’m still waiting for some new RSPB reserves in one of those 3 counties apart from Little Coquet Island of which no landings are allowed. I’m 66 in May and I’ve been waiting patiently since approx 1974 for some more RSPB reserves in my area and as I get older and see new RSPB reserves happening every year In different parts of the country I fear there will not be any new reserves in these 3 county’s in my lifetime.

Regards,

Ian.