Why the lack of RSPB reserves in North East England

I started a thread on in another part of the forum, but did'nt get any replys. I've often wondered why their is a lack of RSPB reserves in North East England and by that i mean Northumberland, Tyne And Wear, Durham and Cleveland. In fact until there was Saltholme a few years ago in Cleveland, there was for many years just Coquet Island of the coast of Northumberland. Compare that to North West England or Yorkshire where their are quite a mumber of reserves. Also Norfolk and Suffolk where are quite a large number of RSPB reserves to visit and also a number of reserves in Cambridgeshire. Can someone from the RSPB or moderator answer that question and as i live in Gateshead theres only Saltholme that i can visit in North East England on a property that belongs to the RSPB, as their is no access allowed on Coquet Island.

Ian.

• Hi Ian,

You aren't the first person to ask this question. I don't live in the North East, but my friend does and she complains about it too!

Still, there are other places, not RSPB, that are great places to visit, and personally I prefer to watch birds elsewhere. I find they are always too far away from the hides for my liking. I like to get a bit closer, and find muddy estuaries are wonderful places.

• Hi thomo

There is a lack of RSPB reserves in my area too, but there are plenty of other Wildlife trust reserves that I can visit. Not all wildlife reserves are owned by the RSPB

• Good question Ian. I too feel that its odd not to have any other than Saltholme here in NEEng  + for me that is around an hr1/2's drive. Going north there is really nothing till Vane Farm which is quite a way north into Scotland!!

Was hoping to go out to the Coquet this pm but when I phoned theycan't take anyone under 32kg so 1/2 the kids no good for a family outing :-((

It does make the 4x a yr mag v expensive when you are v rarely able to get onto their properties. Wouldn't do it for any thing else, thank goodness we have Cragside (NT) on our doorstep!!

Hope you get a reply from the Mods soon.

• Ooooooo Osprey - I LOVE Cragside!  We spent a day there when we were up in Northumberland, and managed to get totally lost in the Rhododendron Maize! I mean really lost!

Sorry to go off topic Ian.

• Having just seen Woodpeckers + Sparrows posts; I have to say that in the last month I've had a mass of fun oing to some wonderful NWT reserves. I've seen the 1 bird I wished for this year; my AVOCET Yipee!! Still need to find other places to go though. Desperate to see Nightjars, I know they are v local to me but not yet had the luck!!

Must say that I am loving being in this part of England it really offers so much!!

• I'm also a life member of the National Trust as well as a life fellow of the RSPB and so over the years i've enjoyed trips to Cragside. Wallington and of course the spectacular Farne Islands. And the membership has been well worth it.

Ian.

• Sparrow. Cragside is brilliant + the maize, laberyinth, a real treat. I could have sent the boys in too find you, but that might not have been v peaceful for you. We are only a few miles away, DS1 is at school in Rothbury, know you met with BL, you should have shouted + I'd have popped over; if I'd heard over the din of the kids!!

Back on thread there are brilliant areas but it does seem odd that the rspb have so little to do with the area + what theyhave we are'nt allowed to enjoy enless you pay for the privilidge again!!

• Apart from rspb reserves in the ne there's some amazing bird sites such as rainton meadows, cresswell, Hartlepool, Durham, hamsterley, Sunderland area ect.

It depends what your after though- migrants, rarities, garden, sea, shore, wood, wetland...

We've got it all and IMO the only better birding area in th uk is Norfolk.

Perhaps invest in the book 'where to watch birds in the ne of england' it's available in watersrones in Durham and the metro as far as I know and saltholme- it's highly recommendable. Also, There is up to date info and discussion as well as all the sites here:

www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php

• As said above there are plenty of reserves out there controlled by local wildlife trusts usually smaller than RSPB reserves who I understood have a minimum area they need to do the conservation work they would do.While this may not encourage birders to join the RSPB if people can afford it it would be nice if people supported both.Before I get shot at I do understand many people cannot afford both or even one,I know I have been in that situation.

• If I'd known you then, Osprey, I would have shouted, but our trip was 2 years ago. However, we enjoyed Northumberland so much we will be back and I'll give you a nudge. Bet your boys aren't as big a handful as our dogs!

Ian - you have so much up there without the need for RSPB reserves. I think you are very lucky to live in that part of the country.