Pheasant visitor

A hen pheasant has taken up residence in the garden and has been with us for a month now. We are in an area of detached houses and my house has a garden of one-third of an acre with mature trees and borders. There is countryside about half a mile away (as the pheasant flies). Every morning I put out suet pellets and mixed seeds and she appears for her breakfast soon after dawn. She is hidden for most of the afternoon, usually hiding under a bush. She looks fit and healthy. Will she return to nature (the wild) as Spring approaches and go looking for a mate? Will she stay? Is there anything I should be doing? Naturally we have foxes and I am worried on that account. Any observations would be welcomed. JM

• We live in the country and my garden is very basic---grass and more grass with hedges around and a few shrubs.  We have 2 sets of pheasants every day.  Mr and Mrs in the morning and the second pair every evening.  They fly up on to the bird table and spend a long time eating bird seed and cornflakes and porridge oats.  We ran out of bird seed which I buy in 25 kg bags because we had such a harsh winter.  So I was giving all the Kellogs and porridge which I could get.  They keep coming so it seems to be enough to keep them living.  Got seeds yesterday. Originally when they first arrived I thought they were the same set coming twice each day but the cock looked so well in the morning and was so poor and scrawny in the evening I was shocked that he was so thin.  The next day he appeared in all his finery and was plump and healthy looking so I was able to work out there were 2 sets.  The hens are identical and unless they are with their mate I cannot tell the difference.  This is going on for a few weeks now.  Last winter we had the same story to tell.  Whether they are the same 4  I don't know

• We often get Pheasants wandering around the gardens surrounding our flats and picking up food left out for ground feeding birds,I have always presumed they were escapees from the local shoot which is only 1/4 mile away.

• I was just about to start a thread on something similar.  I've just seen a cock pheasant in our garden.  Ours is definitely an urban garden even though we live on the outskirts of the city.  There is a park only a short distance away but I've never seen one in there, otherwise the nearest decent area is about half a mile away.

A nice surprise

Stoat

• We usually get visits from pheasants in bad weather - They will leave when it's warmer, but for now I think just feed them, they need bird feeders too!

• Wendy S said:

We often get Pheasants wandering around the gardens surrounding our flats and picking up food left out for ground feeding birds,I have always presumed they were escapees from the local shoot which is only 1/4 mile away.

Spop worrying the Pheasant knows what to do. Just enjoy its company. You are lucky!

• Many birds of the wider countryside find their way into gardens over the winter months. Gardens provide more food and shelter during harsh weather so if you can provide food and water for them it should help them out. When things improve weather wise you will probably find that the pheasants have moved back out into the open areas.

It may be that some birds have fled the shooters guns but pheasants are widespread in the countryside and can turn up practically anywhere.

• we back onto farmland & regularly get pheasants coming into the garden. they're pretty handy as they eat the stuff that gets left on the ground. We get different coloured ones too, we've had black ones & white ones as well as the more usual brown colour

• Just wait until it starts 'calling' then it will not be such a nice surprise! We have a super-soaker ready for the start of the breeding season so that we might be able to sleep beyond 3am.:)

Unknown said:

I was just about to start a thread on something similar.  I've just seen a cock pheasant in our garden.  Ours is definitely an urban garden even though we live on the outskirts of the city.  There is a park only a short distance away but I've never seen one in there, otherwise the nearest decent area is about half a mile away.

A nice surprise

Stoat

• lost said:

Just wait until it starts 'calling' then it will not be such a nice surprise! We have a super-soaker ready for the start of the breeding season so that we might be able to sleep beyond 3am.:)

I was just about to start a thread on something similar.  I've just seen a cock pheasant in our garden.  Ours is definitely an urban garden even though we live on the outskirts of the city.  There is a park only a short distance away but I've never seen one in there, otherwise the nearest decent area is about half a mile away.

A nice surprise

Stoat

[/quote]

I grew up on a farm with chickens around so used to not sleeping past dawn thankfully.  The worst were thered deer that were reared there though.  The roaring in the rutting season went on all night and was only about 100 metres from my bedroom window. Nice to look at though.

Best wishes

Stoat

• I have a pair of pheasants that visit my garden. The female is very shy and keeps her distance. But this morning when I opened the blind she was under the bird feeder - with a chick in tow. I dont know if the parents are escapees or not but they are certainly breeding now in the wild. My garden is not very big but there is a small scrubby woodland at the bottom with a river then open fields beyond.