Fledgling wood pigeon advice!

Hi there! I've spotted a fledgling wood pigeon in our garden, I've only seen him around today and he just seems to spend a lot of time sitting in the open. But I wonder if it might be his first day on the ground. I haven't seen mum (I don't think, I saw an adult pigeon in the morning but not sure if they nipped him?). He looks fluffy, he occasionally tries to move his wings and I did see him flapping a little and made it about 1 or 2 feet. His wings look even so I don't think they are injured. He's occasionally pecking at the ground like he is eating/trying to eat something. If I walk in his direction he doesn't immediately move but does eventually walk off. I felt like at one point he was just falling asleep in the open! I know it's best to leave them so just wanted to get your thoughts, thank you!

This is a photo from him earlier, I've noticed him spend a lot of time Infront of the shed or down the side of it.

• Fledgling Wood Pigeons do spend some time on the ground waiting for wing muscles to strengthen enough to fly off, parents should still be feeding them ... you say it 'nipped' the youngster, maybe it was still feeding it with crop milk!  All you can do is to keep an eye on it to see if parent still attending!  Some general advice here ... scroll down for advice on uninjured youngsters ...

www.rspb.org.uk/.../if-you-find-an-injured-bird

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thanks you very much for your response! I still haven't seen a parent feed it but I did notice it digging around under our bird feeder and eating some of the fallen seed for quite some time, it was also trying to fly for a little while before settling down behind our shed for the night. A little worried about garden predators but I think the best thing to do is leave it alone if it is eating as the link you suggest also says, I just worried it isn't as covered as a hedge!

I did wonder if it had fed it but it looked like it nipped it on its back but I could have been wrong as it was the first time I noticed it!

• It's always a great worry to see these youngsters on the ground and open to predation but that's the cruel side of nature and we should not interfere!  It has reasonable cover to hide in behind your shed, you could put down a dish of water to enable it to drink!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thanks, for your response! It is definitely a big worry, good to know they do spend time on the ground as I have been told they don't! I put water out today and he has been drinking some and again eating some dropped seeds! I still haven't seen his parents come to him aside from another bird that seems to change him off a little. But fingers crossed he is getting stronger! 

• Pleased to hear little Woodie still ok, just keep leaving it some seed & water! Fingers crossed

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr