Cats and bird feeders

Hi all, Ive been happily feeding birds from a window feeder on my bedroom window and have visiting house sparrows every day. Ive tried bird feeders in the ground and hangibg from a bush. Also tried both front and back gardens. Ive put out seeds, nuts, suet, niger seeds and sunflower hearts, all sorts!  Unfortunately i cabt attract any other birds. Also nothibg gets eaten other than from my window, so it all rots and I have to start again. There are cats in my area, is this the problem? 

Id like an extra tall pole to hang food near to the large bush but cant find a really tall one. Any suggestions?

• As tempting as it is, always best to start with small amounts, so food that is put out, doesn't rot/degrade while it waits to be eaten. Sparrows can dominate feeding areas if there are quite a few of them, and especially if they're nesting close by....they end up 'parked' much of the day, not necessarily on feeders, but close enough nearby to be a nuisance for small species. Re poles for hanging feeders from, plenty of options which are very similar. Different people would have different suggestions. Choice is yours.