Anyone else in the Scottish Borders heard a nightjar this week?

I'm certain I heard a nightjar in our garden this week at dusk - probably a female.  We've put a trail cam down close to where we think I heard it but I think we'll be lucky to record it.

We're surrounded by a mix of woodland and pasture. Some of the conifers were clear felled after Storm Arwen, so I found the article in the latest RSPB newsletter about nightjars a very helpful pointer.

The female may have come to this area last year as I heard the same "chrrrrr" around the same time of year in the evening. Just once that time so I will be delighted if she's back. No idea if she's found a mate nearby.

• Heather Martin said:

I'm certain I heard a nightjar in our garden this week at dusk - probably a female.  We've put a trail cam down close to where we think I heard it but I think we'll be lucky to record it.

We're surrounded by a mix of woodland and pasture. Some of the conifers were clear felled after Storm Arwen, so I found the article in the latest RSPB newsletter about nightjars a very helpful pointer.

The female may have come to this area last year as I heard the same "chrrrrr" around the same time of year in the evening. Just once that time so I will be delighted if she's back. No idea if she's found a mate nearby.

Well Nightjars do nest in North East England every year of which i go to see in at Dusk in June every year!

Regards,

Ian.

• Thanks, Ian. I just wondered how far they had spread over this way.
    Heather