Village pond fishing

Hi, our village pond is home to many ducks , geese , occasional Heron, many small birds ( being surrounded on 3 sides by old trees and thick bramble and reed beds ) and I saw a Kingfisher a few months ago. The parish council have just decided to allow fishing by permit (never been done before and the pond has been present for over 150 years). Although the pond is large, and it is shallow ( only 1 to 2 feet ), there is only 1 bank of about 40 yards length where the public can access the waterside. The pc did not consult the villagers nor obtain any input from wildlife organisations. I am worried about the effect of fishing on the birds and wildlife, and would be grateful for any useful thoughts and data please. 

• As an ex angler, like Robbo, I doubt this pond will hold many fish big enough to tempt serious anglers
  • I'm not an angler/fisherman or whatever, and my first thoughts were, 2ft of water is shallow, and that won't be across the whole of the pond either. My garden pond isn't much different in depth, so I can't realistically see any fishing being a viable option.

My suggestion would be to obtain more info as to why this has gone ahead, the PC will keep records of their meetings, and that will be recorded as to why and what limitations there has been put in place, if any.

I can only guess, because it is by permit only, though I don't see how that will be policed, then the number of permits and duration may have some stipulations.

Ideally, you need to find out more, not just what is permitted, but also why

• Thanks Mike. I just can’t see the logic of the decision, particularly as the pond has been a well known visitor attraction for villagers and visitors from 2 nearby towns to see the ducks , providing tranquil enjoyment ( especially for the elderly, young children and people with disability). The pc have just had 1 request re fishing, and have immediately approved a permit system. I was present at the pc meeting and allowed to speak as a member of the public (obviously stating the case against) but they decided 4-2.
    I’m trying to collate any data or information from wildlife protection organisations on the potential disturbance. If the consensus is that there is none, or minimal then so be it , I’ll accept that ( and try to monitor any detrimental behaviour affecting the birds!).
  • I hope so Pete, but to me it’s “opened the door” to a door that wasn’t needed, and it will affect wildlife and the many people who enjoyed the beauty and tranquility of a local beauty spot. There are other large lake fishing clubs within a 4 mile radius. Thanks for replying
  • Boz said:
    Thanks Mike. I just can’t see the logic of the decision, particularly as the pond has been a well known visitor attraction for villagers and visitors from 2 nearby towns to see the ducks , providing tranquil enjoyment ( especially for the elderly, young children and people with disability). The pc have just had 1 request re fishing, and have immediately approved a permit system. I was present at the pc meeting and allowed to speak as a member of the public (obviously stating the case against) but they decided 4-2.

I’m trying to collate any data or information from wildlife protection organisations on the potential disturbance. If the consensus is that there is none, or minimal then so be it , I’ll accept that ( and try to monitor any detrimental behaviour affecting the birds!).

I'm afraid many councillors live in a totally different world to us, likewise our politicians. We have a hair brained (and that's being too complimentary) proposal to mess around with the traffic flow, basically, close a main road off and put lots of traffic lights in, and the claim, to reduce vehicle pollution!

As most people are aware, continuous stop/start will increase air pollution from vehicles, but our councillors say it will reduce pollution!

If you struggle to obtain the data you are looking for, then investigate the "Freedom of Information Act 2000"

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/36/contents

Also a link on how to make a FOI request.

https://www.gov.uk/make-a-freedom-of-information-request

• 40 yards of bank is not going to accommodate many anglers at a time so disturbance may not be as high as you think. Most anglers are just as interested in nature conservation as we birders are and sitting quietly watching a float probably causes less disturbance than a birder walking round the pool. It would be interesting to know if there has been a survey done of what life is in the waterm a local naturalist group might have this information. It might not all be bad news as the more people interested the more people will help protect the area
  • askyourcouncil.uk/.../
    tl;dr: talk to the parish clerk.

I suppose the big question is whether the pond will be altered to allow for angling.
  • Thanks again Mike, very helpful.
    I know , some bonkers decisions !
  • Thanks Pete. I know re the 40 yards, and that’s a good reason they should have refused. The pond is very popular with visitors coming to feed the ducks- some days there will be a constant stream every 15 minutes- by afternoon people wonder why the ducks are not coming over to the bank to feed!
    Just one angler sitting on the bank will cause visitors to feel they are intruding, and curtail their visit. The pond has been used by generations to feed the ducks.
    Thanks for the suggestion- I’ve contacted the wildlife trust already ( who have lakes within 1 mile- they banned finishing years ago) and the response was re the type of bait and equipment. There are also fishing club lakes within 3 miles.
  • Thanks- the clerk was one who voted in favour!
    The pc didn’t say they would alter it physically to accommodate fishing, and there isn’t any scope to . Only 1 enquiry has resulted in the pc rushing to decide that person’s desire to do his hobby outweighs consideration of whether the many people from the village and 2 nearby towns might prefer things to remain as they have for decades.