Owls in the daytime

The Little Owl up by my place used to pop out just before dark .I watched it for 2 weeks or so a little while back. Now he comes out during the day.

Is it normal practise at this time of year for him to be out in the open at daytime. The 3 pics are from 2.15 ish this afternoon.

•  

Hi-

Little Owls feed quite often in the daytime as well as the evening probably more so when breeding :) My local LO sits on a barn roof til about 9am and is back there about 2pm . They eat earthworms in the fields here especially when breeding :)

-http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1300459/How-Britains-smallest-owl-7inches-6oz-won-big-battle-worm.html

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 15/11/2010 01:19

Super photos of the Little Owl, Rhonddaborn {big smile}

Fantastic footage of the Owl peering out of the hole in the building

Seymours has answered your question about their eating habits. 

Have to say that Dave and I where surprised to see a Barn Owl in broad daylight quartering over the reed beds at Cley Marsh last weekend.  Wonder if it is to do with the lack of daylight and the dark night at the moment.

Great news about your little Owl too Seymour.

They are never the quietest of neighbours to have especially at 4am in the morning.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Barn Owls, Short eareds, and Littles do quite a bit of hunting in the daylight hours. Little Owls are supposedly crepuscular but I've seen them in bright sunshine on several occasions.   Tawnies and LEOs are the real night owls.  

The last Barn Owl I saw flew straight along the platform of Kemble (Cirencester) station while I was waiting for a train. That was in daylight too.

JBNTS

Every day a little more irate about bird of prey persecution, and I have a cat - Got a problem with that?

•  

hi-

Barn Owls cannot hunt so effectively in windy weather so if it lasts  a few nights/days they hunt more in daylight out of necessity.

;)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Fantastic and right on the doorstop. I have yet to see one in the wild. You are so lucky.
    Well camouflaged in the third one I had to look really closely.

Of all creatures, man is the most detestable, he is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
    ~ Mark Twain

• hi rhonddaborn

I was only thinking the other day if you'd seen him, nice to know he,s still around.

During breeding I've seen the male dozing most of the day not far from the nest and boy when another bird sees him they give him hell.

Is it the only one

Regards  Ray

a good laugh is better than a tonic

• The owl flew to the mountain at the side of the barn where he is well camouflaged , and then he flew further to the left and the Mistle thrushes and song thrushes were going ballistic .

• Wow!

I've only seen barn owls which really ins't impressive, but I'm sure I'll see some others by chance!

'Dip a dee dah, dip a dee ay, we're not seeing any birds to-day...'

•  

Hi-

for those wanting to see owls I suggest a peruse of your local annual county bird report or maybe join the local  Bird club/  local Nat Hist society/ RSPB group  and go on  a field trip or two :)

S

• Hi Seymour

Thanks for the tip.

I have never seen live wold owls anywhere so I will make an effort to try and find a sighting.

Hi rhonndaborn

Your little owl is just lovely.

You are really lucky to see him so regularly, and you even get photos. Wow!! :-))

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos