Why do all wild birds suddenly disappear for a week or so?

I've noticed this phenomenon before. Suddenly my garden, in fact the whole neighbourhood when I look out of the window, is devoid of any birds whatsoever! Normally, I can reckon to see blackbirds, sparrows and the occasional robin in my garden every day and all day. But then there will be a period - like the last few days - in which not one single bird is seen, anywhere. Not even the pigeons, not even the house martins. Where do they all go and why? I live in rural Lincolnshire. Just as suddenly they'll be back again in a week or two. Most peculiar. I threw out some breadcrumbs on the back lawn the day before yesterday and normally I'd expect to see it all gone in a matter of hours. It's still there!
  • Hi LittleTyke,

there are a few reasons for this, first is there is food out there especially berries and so birds like the Blackbird will be gorging themselves on this natural food source to put on fat for winter. other birds such as pigeons will be picking out the farmers freshly harvested land for seeds.

Also this time of year birds will start to flock and even some migrate further south

Another reason also is that many species of birds are in moult and some wont even be able to fly properly at present and so a bird landing smack bang in the middle of your garden will be more vunerable to cats, foxes or even Sparrowhawks at present.

Once they grow in all thier new feathers its business as usual.

Thanks

Craig

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. - Albert Einstein

• Since I wrote earlier today, I have seen one lone sparrow and a very dejected looking blackbird fledgling, the latter simply rooted to the spot for minutes at a time while lethargically pecking at the breadcrumbs every now and then. He (or she) looked fed up. Later, a dove popped in! I never thought about the berries and so on. Or the moulting, for that matter. Cheers!
  •  

Hi,

some believe the phenomenon started about a century ago when Victorian birds discovered the seaside and migrated there briefly during bird table closure fortnight. At first coach travel was only used by passerines for day trips to places such as Scarborough, Ventnor, Weston super mare etc. However Thomas Rook started the first bird holiday club and as  time went by and super-savers became available,  more birds spent their holidays in favoured haunts, arriving by train in family groups. Car ownership has always been problematical for most birds due to leg length.

:)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Brilliant Seymour. I havent stopped laughing yet. :-))

EDIT, Sorry Little Tyke,  I didn't say Hello.

• HAHAHA !!

That explanes everything then!!

magic!!

Cheers

AL

If its no fun Yer no doin it right!

• seymouraves said:

Hi,

some believe the phenomenon started about a century ago when Victorian birds discovered the seaside and migrated there briefly during bird table closure fortnight. At first coach travel was only used by passerines for day trips to places such as Scarborough, Ventnor, Weston super mare etc. However Thomas Rook started the first bird holiday club and as  time went by and super-savers became available,  more birds spent their holidays in favoured haunts, arriving by train in family groups. Car ownership has always been problematical for most birds due to leg length.

S

I hereby grant the RSPB the right to reproduce this article in any publication they so wish  ( with the exception of 'Birding Alpha Centauri'  ) for a fat fee.

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Hi AL and BrendaH, Seymour is quite right. I know great numbers of birds travel down from Scotland to the popular resort of Blackpool every year for two weeks in summer, it is known locally as Scottish Fortnight, a very interesting phenomenon. A lot of fighting and mating goes on I believe.

Ha Ha Seymour, so funny.

Hello Little Tyke and welcome. CraigB has, of course, given you the correct information. I hope you enjoy the forum.

Kind regards Jane.

• Hi LittleTyke

A big welcome to the site and have to admit it's always a sad time when the birds go missing. Then garden is never the same without the birds.

Robert