Best time of day for Kingfishers?

I am goin to my KingFisher spot again tommorow morning to try out my new hide. I was just wondering if there is anyone that knows much about KFs or when is the best time of day or best weather to see them. I would have originally thought as early as possible is the best. but then i got thinking in mid-day sun there will be more fly's and insects thus there will be more fish hunting thus more KingFishers fishing? i dont know. If anyone has any idea then i would really love to hear it thanks.

Carl

• Hi Carl,

I have been going to Rye Meads lately to see the KFs there.

They are about to brood their 3rd set of young this summer and have been seen, on average, every 30 minutes throughout the day.....marvellous sight!

If there are no young/eggs around it might not be so frequent. Take a flask and some sarnies!

Good luck and don't forget to post your photos!

-Graham

• Hi CJ

When I've been to Rye Meads, and my local area where I know there are kingfishers, I have seen them either late morning or around midday.

I suppose it depends on what stage they are at in the nesting season. If the chicks are quite big then the female will be sitting outside waiting for the male to bring back fish. If they have eggs then the female will be sitting on them and you will have to wait for the male to appear with a fish, unless you can sit and watch him at his fishing perch.

Although I know where my local birds nest, they seem to go somewhere else to fish so I only see them flying in or out of the nest.

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• Unknown said:

Hi Carl,

I have been going to Rye Meads lately to see the KFs there.

They are about to brood their 3rd set of young this summer and have been seen, on average, every 30 minutes throughout the day.....marvellous sight!

If there are no young/eggs around it might not be so frequent. Take a flask and some sarnies!

Good luck and don't forget to post your photos!

-Graham

Hi Graham

I would like to see this latest set of young fledge if they do so before I go on holiday. I wondered if you might please be able to keep me informed of their progress if you go frequently, as it's so far from me that I can only go on an occasional Saturday.

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• Dont worry Graham the pics will be straight on here lol. And

Woodpecker said:

Hi CJ

When I've been to Rye Meads, and my local area where I know there are kingfishers, I have seen them either late morning or around midday.

I suppose it depends on what stage they are at in the nesting season. If the chicks are quite big then the female will be sitting outside waiting for the male to bring back fish. If they have eggs then the female will be sitting on them and you will have to wait for the male to appear with a fish, unless you can sit and watch him at his fishing perch.

Although I know where my local birds nest, they seem to go somewhere else to fish so I only see them flying in or out of the nest.

Ahhh late morning. Now you see to be honest thats the only time i'v ever really seen them, between about 7 and 11.  I have no idea if there are any youngsters as i havent seen any i dont think. Though there has been 2 of them pirched for a while on the branch that i always see them on. And i havent seen one actually fishing either. I think i'll have to get some more viewing done to try and find out the situation.

ooo and thanks people.