Baby pigeons

hi 

we have a pigeon nest in our garden. The chicks look to be around 10 days old I think. Mum left them this morning and hasn’t returned ... should I be worried? How long can then be left at this point?

thanks

nancy :) 

• Hi, we have pigeon chicks in out holly hedge and the parents have not returned. It is past10pm, dark, cold and raining. Should I bring the babies indoors?
  • Sorry, I only just saw this. It is unlikely that both parents would have been predated. After about 15 days or so, the adults don't always sit on the nest, but they will be close by. Keep us updated.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Thank you for getting back to me. I’m relieved to say that at least one of the parents has been back and I saw the squabs were being fed twice yesterday. The nest is just 4’ at most off the ground and about the same distance from my garden chair where I’ve been sitting every day since before the nest was built and we see the birds without disturbing them. It was a surprise to watch the adults gathering twigs and building so close to us.
  • Hello , we have had some wood pigeons nesting all year , the mum has been taken by we think a hawk and one of the babys been killed too :( we have 1 left in the nest , but we have taken it and the nest out and put it in our boiler house , not sure if this was the right thing to do ? I would say its about 2 weeks old ish ... it seem s pretty stressed when we moved ot understandavly but did t want it getting eaten overnight . Not sure where to go from here feeding wise ? Worried it may be gone tomorrow over stress and not having its mum . Any advice would be good would love it if it to be ok .
  • Hi you shouldn't have removed please leave at the same spot the other parent will show up. Wood pigeons are really hard to care for. They will also stop eating if they are enclosed, stressed or with no other woody. You have made a mistake! Please put it back and observe if the other parent comes back. There are usually two parents that care for the babies it is unlikely both parents disappeared. If no other parent comes tomorrow morning feel free to contact london wildlife protect. But whatsapp rather than call
  • I have 2 chick's, 12 to 15 days old...don't like to get too close so that's the most accurate I can get.
    Yesterday Mom left squabs alone for 2 hours but did return and stop the night and was there when I left the house at 1.30pm. When I returned at 7.30pm there was no Mom and its now gone 11pm and still no show (Dad pigeon was sadly hit by a car) so we are extremely concerned as Mom is usually on, by or near the nest at night, I'm in Warwickshire and not sure what to do, we've got very attached to this family but it's all going quite wrong Pensive