Baby pigeons

hi 

we have a pigeon nest in our garden. The chicks look to be around 10 days old I think. Mum left them this morning and hasn’t returned ... should I be worried? How long can then be left at this point?

thanks

nancy :) 

• Ok. Maybe they are Ferals? Do you know if they are Woodies or Ferals?
  • Hi the parents are back thankfully so I’m feeling relieved. I believe they are woodies. Thank you for your help monkeycheese:-)
  • Hello i might have a similar problem. Would love to be contacted by Monkycheese too for further help. So opposite my court there is a construction site which Thankfully is still not being started yet, a lot of pigeon nested there during the lockdown and so far so good most babies have fledged until possibly today. From my window i was observing a pigeon laying eggs on top of stack of doors and windows which will be used for the building, no nest just on top of them where can get quite windy sometimes! As far as i saw the pigeons hatched probably 3 days ago (hopefully im wrong). My worry now is the parent pigeon (wood pigeon) left at 8pm and i know they leave the squabs on their own after the10,15th day. So im a bit concerned. I use binocular to watch them but im worried as the first time i saw a head being fed was a few days ago. The parent has not returned yet and it is getting dark so they will spend the night alone. How long should i wait until i intervene, which i hope it will be possible and the workers will let me in?
    I live in north west london.

Hope to hear from you soon.
    Thanks
    Ina
  • Thank you for caring Ina, have sent a message to Monkeycheese & hope he can offer advice soon ... iitm, please have a look here to see what help is in your area ... helpwildlife.co.uk/.../
  • Hi WendyBartrer thank you so much for the quick respond. Sadly i do not have hope from these people as i have contacted them several times. First time was about 3 pigeons stuck in a shopping centre for about 2,3 years, they were finding food from the food corner there, however once the lockdown happened they couldnt so they are dead. Second time a pigeon with a broken wing, no response until i was looking for a box in the shop it hid somewhere and i never found, 3rd time 5,6 pigeons trapped behind the pests nets under a bridge. Nothing again, she came and saw and when i called again i was ignored. Thank God my father created a long hook, i went and bought a long ladder to reach the 5m long bridge to break the net and save them. Since all these cases and their negligence i do not have hope for this organisation! :(
  • Sorry to heaar of all the problems you have encountered Ina ... Monkeycheese has read your post but technically unable to post , so I have copied his reply to me ...
    ***It seems unlikely that they are Wood Pigeons so a photo would help. If the work is going to start then she can legally remove them for their own safety. She would need to know where to take them as they would require syringe feeding. She needs to keep watching and see what happens. If they have really been abandoned, which seems unlikely, then she could remove them, but she has to have a pigeon friendly rescue to take them. ***

Please confirm which type of pigeon & who have you asked for help from previously?

• Mind you they helped me once, but after so many attempts for the other cases i lost hope. Ok great will wait to hear from Monkeycheese.
    Thanks a lot
  • See my reply above, we must have been posting at same time!
  • Thank you for his response. They are definitely wood pigeons and i think i have attracted them as i started using a feeder on the trees near a playground in front of my court. In fact there are a lot of pigeons nesting here now, on the tree, in the shrubs, on the construction site and there was one who was so near the playground where kids are scream and shout so much that the pigeon left the nest. I now worry for the other two, but fingers crossed they stay. I have stopped feeding them with the hope they dont come here anymore as the kids are really really loud and scare them off :(.
    I will keep an eye on these ones i really hope i see the parent tomorrow. And yes i do know i need a safe place i have a cat and a big parrot, plus no support from parents if i want to help. So if anything comes to mind would love to hear it
  • Bit too late to offer any help at this time of night Ina, just keep watch tomorrow to reasses the situation!
    Have you ever contacted this organisation for advice/help ... www.londonwildlifeprotection.org/