do collared doves eat their young

we have collared doves nesting behind our satellite dish, they've raised one chick which until yesterday seemed to be ok, and very close to fledgling, but has died overnight, the parent has been pecking at it and appears to be eating it, has anyone else seen this behaviour? the chick had been left on its own a lot in recent days and I'm wondering g if it has died of neglect, so sad to see as this is only the 2nd time in 5 years that they've nested there.
  • I wonder about this too. Collared Doves set up home in an Amelanchier in the garden once again this Spring. They are very relaxed about our comings and goings, especially the female who would probably come to hand with the right encouragement. They constructed their nest high up in the tree where it could be observed from my study window using a long lens. Even so I had to erect a a platform to mount a tripod so that the nest could be filmed from the top of the window. Filming duly commenced and continued on and off for several days. Then, one morning, he or she was acting strangely, pecking repeatedly with a stabbing action and I could see no sign of the two young. Later that day I discovered one of the nestlings on the patio partly hidden beneath their tree under some Ivy. It had clearly been attacked sustaining a large wound to the throat and neck. Whether by a cat or a Magpie who knows, there are too many of both in the immediate area for my liking. We also see a lot of Grey Squirrels but I don't know if they might carry out that sort of strike.
    Having read this thread, however, I decided to review my recordings, all of which were shot during daytime, with the male on the nest. These revealed what at first appeared to be normal behaviour but then this was interspersed with episodes of sustained pecking as described in the foregoing paragraph. None of the recordings, comprising six 20 minute sessions, showed any evidence of feeding behaviour. Has anyone else witnessed similar behaviour? An expert opinion would be interesting.