How to deter squirrels from ground feeder?

I did buy a ground guard but what it neglected to mention on the packet was that squirrels fit through the gaps - the only creatures the guard is effective against in my garden are the woodpigeons! I don't really fancy going out and buying another ground guard with a smaller mesh right now as they're not cheap. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

• somethingofadreamer said:

I did buy a ground guard but what it neglected to mention on the packet was that squirrels fit through the gaps - the only creatures the guard is effective against in my garden are the woodpigeons! I don't really fancy going out and buying another ground guard with a smaller mesh right now as they're not cheap. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Hi somethingofadreamer

I don't know how long ago you purchased this guard and I don't know exactly what it looks like or what it says on the packet.

However, if I had purchased a ground feeder guard against squirrels, and it let squirrels through, then my first task would be to contact the manufacturer and advise them that it doesn't fit the purpose for which it was intended.

They are quite likely to refund your money, and then you can investigate a ground feeder guard that does work against squirrels.

Best wishes Chris

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• I have the adjustable ground feeder sanctuary that the RSPB sell. The squirrels are unable to get in it but the only downside is that it also prevents birds like Blackbirds and Thrushes from using it so have to ensure I place food under one of my shrubs for them instead.  w of people using Chicken wire or even shopping baskets. Wilkinsons sell green fence wire that has large holes; I cut some into four panels and wired each one together and as the wire was quite thick the end result was really sturdy. Hope you manage to find a way around this problem.

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 26/03/2010 17:47

Hi Somethingofadreamer

I made my own ground feeders and OH spent some time designing ones to suit our needs, Buy some strong fencing wire that is about £6 a sheet from the garden centre - it is solid along with some bull clips/plastic ties are handy too

The positive side about the ones we have they cater for birds up to Blackbird size. 

The down side is that they keep adult Grey Squirrels out ....... BUT the problem is we have is the immature smaller Squirrels IN at times.  They can slip though the entrance holes

The fencing wire we got has squares - 5cm square -  and we cut open two entrance holes in the ground feeders to 10cm square - some strong wire cutters needed for the job. 

Blackbirds can get in that size quite easily - they dip their tails in the entrance hole before going to feeding.

Hope this helps

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• At the risk of repeating myself (i do that sometimes), i would suggest investing 1 or 2 pounds on the hottest chilli powder you can find.....put some in a bag with your feed, shake it up until the feed is completely covered and stuck to the feed (but without any excess dust), then put it out on your ground feeder. Birds will  take the food with chilli with no problems while the burning sensation will make the squirrels think twice.

Making the mesh smaller may work, but as others have said smaller squirrels may get through, and you may keep out some of the birds you want to feed.....

Remember that the squirrel just wants to feed - they don't know the food isn't for them, so you have to find ways of putting them off the food, or from getting to it, (which is harder said than done!), or both.

Good luck!

Help swifts by letting us know what they're up to - fill in the 2010 survey

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 26/03/2010 18:26 in reply to LRB

hi LRB

Sorry forgot the famous Chilli Powder although I have to say I have never tried it yet.

I was inundated with Grey Squirrels in my last garden but touchwood not bothered by them in my current garden. 

Squirrels are persistant little pests and they are always trying to get one over you each and every time. 

Somethingofadreamer: I think it is finding a system that suits and rather than buying new gear, give that Chilli Powder a good go.

For a laugh have a look at this:

This was my Squirrel proof ground feeder in the sky (last garden) and it worked.  The Squirrel could not get past the Green Plant Pot.  The birds took to it and the Blackbirds even liked to sit on the edges eating from it.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• well it definitely works for me - i had a cheeky little .......squirrel who raided my feeder from my second floor window (he climbs vertically up the render on the brickwork) and i started the chilli method - he came back a couple of times but then stopped and i haven't seen him since

it may not work for everyone (a hungry squirrel is a determined squirrel) and you may have a bit of trial and error to get the ratios of chilli to feed right but it's got to be worth a shot.....

ingenious squirrel deterring feeder by the way Blackbird!

• Its amazing that hot chilli powder doesn't have the burning effect on the birds.

I take it that all birds will eat the chilli powdered food?

• Yep they will - Birds are not affected by "capsaicin" - the active ingredient in chilli peppers. Research has shown that there is no evidence that birds code capsaicin as an irritant at concentrations as high as 20,000 ppm (the hottest chilli is about 2,000 ppm). Mammals, such as squirrels and rats, reject capsaicin concentrations as low as 1-10 ppm

The reason behind it is evolutionary....Most botanists and ornithologists believe that chilli peppers evolved this way so that small mammals would avoid the hot taste, while birds freely eat the pungent pepper pod thereby resulting in wider ranging dispersal of the seeds to ensure the natural growth and long term survival of the chilli pepper plant.

Chilli pepper seeds consumed by birds pass through the digestive tract unharmed, whereas those consumed by mammals do not germinate at all. The presence of capsaicin in the fruits therefore protects them from being consumed by mammals, which have molars that can kill seeds.

Studies show that mammals, including squirrels, have receptors on the tongue and in the mouth that react to chilli peppers by sending heat signals to the brain. Although there's no actual damage, the sensation makes it seem as though the mouth is on fire (much the same as ourselves). Birds lack the receptors that make chewing chilli peppers such an eye-watering experience for mammals -- they can eat peppers all day long and never feel a thing!

Hope that answers your queries (and it wasn't too boring.......)

• Thanks for the explanation, Nature is so cool.

I've actually learnt something my hubby didn't know, makes a change.

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 31/03/2010 16:53 in reply to kristle

Hi LRB

Thank you for your explanation about the use of chilli

Never knew that birds seem to be unhindered by it.

Regards

Kathy and Dave