Mirrors

I have two Blue Tits that have started to strut their stuff to the mirrors I have on my garden wall.  These mirrors are quite large and have not caused a problem before (they are away from the feeding/flight areas and the birds do not crash into them).

At first I thought this was really lovely, as it is right outside my kitchen window.  However, this has now been going on for two days and I am concerned that they are exhausting themselves unnecessarily.  I am not sure whether they are 'making out' with the reflection, or defending their territory.

My question is:  Should I cover these mirrors for the Spring?  It would be difficult, but not impossible.

• Hi Yvonne

I don't profess to be an expert on bird behaviour but I suspect that your blue tits are seeing their reflections as potential rivals. At this time of year at the start of the breeding season birds are becoming increasingly territorial and competitive. I'm sure they have enough trouble with real rivals without having to cope with illusions as well.

Perhaps you could start by sticking some tape over part of the mirrors just to break up the reflections to see if that has any effect. Failing that you may have to resort to covering them as you suggest.

I'll be interested to hear what other people think.

Hope this is of some help.

TJ

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Hi Yvonne, like TJ  I am no expert but I agree with him about covering them. The birds will be seeing potential rivals for their territory and sooner or later they will try to attack, resulting in them hurting or killing themselves.

The necessity of bird-watching is a really good reason for avoiding all forms of housework.

The dust will still be there tomorrow - the birds may not be!

• Hi Yvonne, I seem to remember on one of the threads some months ago, that it was advised not to have mirrors in the garden because of birds wasted aggression to their reflection and they also injure/ kill themselve by trying to fly through to a reflected bush/ tree.

• I would agree with the previous suggestions, it is best to cover the mirrors as this behaviour wastes lots of precious energy. Putting clingfilm over the surface may work as it clouds the reflection, the birds have no reason to attack if they do not recognise themselves. If this fails then covering the mirrors with something more substantial may be required.

On the positive side it may indicate that you have got a territorial pair of blue tits in your garden that will hopefully go on to breed nearby.

Good luck.

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• Thank you so much for helpful suggestions.  I have temporarily covered the mirrors with newspaper and this has stopped them.  I will get organised with the clingfilm.  They are still coming down for a quick look to check ...

I put up a nest box last year, so I am really hoping that they will breed this year - it's very exciting.

• Hi Yvonne

I have a pair of blue tits which flyat their reflections in a garage door and also my kitchen door (also attack the shiny handles!). They never seem to hurt themselves and just flutter at the windows rather than fly directly into them. The bluetits have sucessfully nested and raised chicks for 3 years and are checking the boxes (and attacking the windows) for the 4th year.

It's not always easy to hug a hedgehog.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

• We have a lovely leafy garden and a few boxes, but for the first time, we have had blue tits perching on the car wing mirrors and pecking at their 'rivals'.  After we realized why we had bird poo on the doors under the mirrors, I covered the mirrors, but with 4 cars (and visitors), that's not always practical.  Now they have actually paired up, it seems to have stopped.  As they're bright little birds, I think they will soon learn, anyway.  Big mirrors in the garden are a different matter!  It would cause chaos here, as we have an abundance of birds - including great and green woodpeckers, even a cock pheasant occasionally - a rarity in a town garden!  This year our camera box seems to have been selected as a des res, so hoping for babies.  What a magic bit of kit!