Dogs off leads

Can more be done persuade visitors to keep their dogs on leads when visiting reserves?

• Nice photo. Also your dogs look very friendly
  • Hi

while we are on the subject of pooches-

www.thesun.co.uk/.../

Transporting dogs in cars-

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• That sounds like a good suggestion and I think it might help raise more awareness and understanding. There could still be occasions where people still let them run loose but if there is volunteers to help and educate them it might reduce the ocurances. I don’t think it would stop people letting them loose entirely but might still help to a certain exstent.
  • That’s why it’s called a public footpath. That’s why I’ve always, said dogs must be on leads on public footpaths. That’s why on certain reserve’s where all or most of the paths are public footpaths dogs are allowed on leads. Bud the person of this thread only said footpaths. Also don't forget registered guide dogs are allowed on most RSPB reserves including bird hides if possible. Some who I know personally wouldn’t even allow registered guide dogs on-to reserves. But then I would say that would stop some people that need guide dogs and it they were not allowed into bird-hides alongside visiting reserves I would say that would be discrimination. I have seen other birdwatchers posting on other UK Bird Forums who have posted  that! I feel very strongly about this!. So far nothing like that has been posted on the RSPB Community Forum!

Regards,

Ian.

• Also dont forget registered guide dogs are allowed on most RSPB reserves including most bird hides. I know some that wouldn't even allow any registered guide dogs on any uk reserve. Ive seen posts on some other UK Bird Forums suggesting this. That is discrimination and illegal in law. Luckily I've seen no such threads or posts like that on the RSPB Community Forum. But it is worrying for me when I've seen threads and post’s like that on some other UK Bird Forum’s. And i worry when i see threads such as this although the post that started this thread didn't include guide dogs and i hope when the person who started this thread doesn't include registers guide dogs that she wants to be banned from UK reserves!

Regards,

Ian.

• Don’t worry we wouldnt say anything like that that the other uk forums have said. And I don’t think dogs should be completely banned. And I don’t think any disabled dogs or guide dogs should be banned from nature reserves. I think people should keep them on leads on public footpaths on nature reserves. Most people do. but not all of them. 

• I've always said that. I've seen another similar thread started in a similar way with a similar first post elsewhere and i’m just wondering!  Thinking

Regards,

Ian.

• Love those two Mike, some years ago I acted as a "dogsbody" for training of mountain search dogs a great feeling when those dogs found you.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Actually Ian when Lizzie started this thread she made no mention of banning dogs just asking that they be put on leads

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• That’s understandable. But theres no need to worry this time. On this forum we think that (everyone) should have access to nature reserves. just to reassure you If the forum ever did say anything like that about guide dogs. I would of said I don’t think they should be banned from nature reserves aswell. She’s wondering if more can be done to encourage people to keep there dogs on leads at nature reserves. And Shes thinking we could have volunteers at nature reserves to educate the people who have access with there dogs to help give them a greater understanding of why a dog off a lead could cause a problem. To make it even more accessible to everyone. I think if more people understand why then more people will be aware and gradually even more people might keep them on leads at nature reserves on public footpaths. I think its a good idea. Do you have any ideas aswell?