Dogs off leads

Can more be done persuade visitors to keep their dogs on leads when visiting reserves?

• I havnt heard of acting as a dogs body before What does it mean?
  • When helping to train mountain rescue search dogs volunteers (nick named dogsboddies) will go off and hide in rocks or a snow hole and the trainee dog and its handler will set off to find them. Back in the 60's I started to train my own dog but had neither the time or skills to do it do so another team member took her on while she was still young enough

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Erik at Arne a couple of weeks ago.  We had already stopped and had a chat with a member of staff.  he is always on lead and it's nearly always hi-viz.  even man trailing he is on a fixed long line.  He knows how to behave around wildlife (lots and lots of training) and very calmly stood and watched a Sika hind, who was really confused by him.

It is a real problem over here with people allowing their dogs to chase overwintering flocks of birds on the beach :( it is now against the law and they can be fined but obviously that requires good video evidence 

Cin J

• Germain, I think dogs on the lead are acceptable to most people on here certainly by me. Dogs running free are the problem.  That is a magnificent dog by the way,I think I would adopt him any day but he would end up being the boss !!

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Germain said:

Erik at Arne a couple of weeks ago.  We had already stopped and had a chat with a member of staff.  he is always on lead and it's nearly always hi-viz.  even man trailing he is on a fixed long line.  He knows how to behave around wildlife (lots and lots of training) and very calmly stood and watched a Sika hind, who was really confused by him.

It is a real problem over here with people allowing their dogs to chase overwintering flocks of birds on the beach :( it is now against the law and they can be fined but obviously that requires good video evidence 

As long as dogs are on leads and on public footpaths even if the public footpaths are on reserves and if those dogs are not causing any problem on public footpaths that is ok. And don’t forget as I’ve posted time after time. That’s why a public footpath is called a public footpath. And also as I’ve mentioned as well time after time and it needs to be repeated. Registered Guide Dogs are legally allowed on most reserves including bird hides where possible. And also that law is not just a UK Law, but international law  as well in most countries. I’m not disabled. But I do feel strongly about that! Sorry I’ve had to post this in rather a strong way. But that is how I feel! As disabled people should be allowed onto any reserve possible and some independence as Registered Guide Dogs can do that. Often thread such as this I often worry about. And again mention this, as I’ve seen in other other bird forums where some birdwatchers don’t think Registered Guide Dogs should be allowed on-to any reserve in the UK!

Regards,

Ian.

• www.disabilityrightsuk.org/equality-act-and-disabled-people
    I didn’t want to post this link as I’ve done on some other websites when this has been discussed and some opinions on this subject involving registered guide dogs. But here is the link! Again hope the link works.
    The Equality Act and disabled people | Disability Rights UK

Regards,

Ian.

• Just making sure I defantatly understand what you meant.  Do you mean dogs (off the lead) are chaseimg wintering flocks so That is a real problem and they banned dogs (off the lead) Cause of chasing them on the beach? 

• Zo Clark said:

Just making sure I defantatly understand what you meant.  Do you mean dogs (off the lead) are chaseimg wintering flocks so That is a real problem and they banned dogs (off the lead) Cause of chasing them on the beach? 

That is what I want to know as well. I didn’t want to post the link about the equality act and disabled people, as I’ve had to post about this subject before  on some other forums with very controversial views.of which I wouldn’t want to see anyonw post views as what I’ve seen on other forums and not as pleasant or friendly as the RSPB Community Forum. It is and hopefully will be the friendliest bird forum in the future as well of all the  UK Bird Forums I’ve been member of this forum for more than 10 years and hope it remains like that!

Regards,

Ian.

• Michael B said:

My local RSPB reserve is public ground with public footpaths and a bridalway managed by the RSPB, and there are dog walkers who let their dogs  run wild, and/or allow these annoying extending leads to unreel and the dog(s) run amok off the paths.

Sadly I have seen "wildlife " photographers on on our local moors use dogs on extended leads to flush wildlife to enable their "wildlife photography" - most often Grouse chicks near the roadside  but other moorland chicks as well.