HOBBY (Falco Subbuteo) Dorset 2024 ©︎WildlifeWindows-DRSG

All pictures and videos courtesy of Wildlife Windows and Dorset Raptor Study Group

2023 THREAD

*** 2024 CAM *** (select the LIVE thumbnail)

QUOTE per ©️WildlifeWindows-DRSG

The adult male is the same male (he is ringed) but we think the female is a new bird as she doesn’t have the aberrant white feather on her head which has been present in previous years.

3 eggs have been laid which is a normal clutch size for hobbies.

Egg 1, 2nd June 6:47 pm

Egg 2, 5th June 6:46 am (60 hours)

Egg 3, 7th June 8:04 pm (61.25 hours)

Hatching should start approx. end of the first week in July

Hasty snaps to start us off:

THREE eggs:

Mama:

This season the cam has been enhanced with nighttime IR, hooray!

Mama tucked for the night:

IMAGICAT

WendyBartter said:
    combination of awful weather & inexperienced parent maybe??

My thoughts exactly.

WendyBartter said:
    That nestcup does look too deep & not wide enough for easy access though Disappointed relieved

I haven't found (not that I've spent very long looking) footage of the very first season, to compare what it was like before the base got built up.

The weather was a bit better today, and at last Mama got around to taking the poor little eyas away - after eating some of it!

IMAGICAT

• 15 July

See what I missed!  At the very beginning of this video (on the Bird Parenting YT channel ) we can see the egg somehow attached to Mama's underside as she leaves the nest:

.16 July

And see what else I missed,.  Again, courtesy of Bird Parenting (Japanese channel owner) - I'm posting the link so's to save you the first few minutes waiting for the action - there's a nice slomo:

https://youtu.be/h2h4wSDL-_A?t=119

16 July

Well, Wendy - see what happened here!  Just as well the nest is rather deep!

17 July

Two breakfasts before 09:00:

IMAGICAT