Peregrine Falcon, Orange NSW - 2022/23

Diamond & Xavier have THREE EGGS - laid between 26th and 28th August.  Hatching expected to start from 01 October onwards.

New website for Cilla's info.

YT Channel for FOUR live cams.

IMAGICAT

• Lovely videos of our little falcon family. Don't get tired of watching them and their antics lol. Thank you very much for sharing these with us
  • 27 Nov - after Diamond had popped in and out, Indigo brought his breakfast - I couldn't recognise it but it looked quite meaty.  He ate quite a bit and stashed the leftover in the far left corner before leaving.

IMAGICAT

• Rubus update ( debate ongoing )

""10:42 AMpajarillo NL

I am under the impression that the 16:52 juvie is Rubus .... but, that would have been the first time he fles up to the box. Wouldn't he stayed much longer to rest after that adventure?"

• 27 November

SunnyKate2 said:
    Rubus update ( debate ongoing )

I did a comparison snap of Indigo (herein) but now think I could have chosen a better angle for Rubus's still.  Never mind, we are at the mercy of the experts Hugging

Wow!  Hungry chickling aggression AstonishedStuck out tongue winking eyeAstonished

IMAGICAT

• Still no confirmed sighting of Rubus., but here a limerick, may bring a smile
    .6:44 AM
    JoyceG

​GOT IT: From Rebecca Ford:

There is a young teircel named Rubus,
    whose antics enthrall and move us,
    he plays hide and seek,
    gone for a week, laughs,
    ‘why can’t you find me,
    you doofus?’

• Still no confirmed sighting of Rubus., but here a limerick, may bring a smile
    .6:44 AM
    JoyceG

​GOT IT: From Rebecca Ford:

There is a young teircel named Rubus,
    whose antics enthrall and move us,
    he plays hide and seek,
    gone for a week, laughs,
    ‘why can’t you find me,
    you doofus?’

• Heehee, thank you, KATE Hugging

Here was Indigo with his supper last evening - looks like a parent flew past and he loudly protested and mantled over his meal, then got on with it and I've left in rather a lot of his eating efforts, which seem pretty good to me:

IMAGICAT

• Cilla's NEWS on 27 November:

While our small search party was looking in the woods below the tower, a falcon flew out towards the tower. As I couldn't see Indigo in the box any more, I assumed the bird we saw flying was Indigo BUT Indigo was in the box (at the back), so it was a different falcon. On tower cam, at that time, this same bird was seen to harrass Xavier into leaving the microwave, so I believe it was Rubus. This is typical juvenile behaviour, not something Diamond would do. She would land on the roof. Hopefully, we will soon see all four falcons on the roof together, so we can be sure.

I have received a lot of criticism about why Rubus was not put back in the box. These are never easy decisons to make with wild birds, but I accept full responsibility for what eventuates. There was some discussion that he might have contracted canker (in which case he would surely be dead by now) and I got conflicting advice on that. If he does get sick and gets found, he will taken into care for veterinary assessment and rehabilation if necessary. I will let you know if and when that happens, but I am now more optimistic with this sighting.

Rubus fledged on 20 November at 46 days. Indigo is way ahead, getting flight training from parents, visiting the box etc. He fledged on 11 November at 41 days.

©FalconCam,  CSU, NSW

I really can't understand the criticism in these circumstances.

No idea who this was:

Later - clambing the wall!

IMAGICAT

• "Yes I saw that hence I posted "debate ongoing"

Cillas 29th Sad News.

NEWS 29th November 2022 Bad news about Rubus. His body was found today by one of our medical staff (who also watch the livestream). Cause of death is unknown. I thought at first broken neck because of the angle, but it seemed intact. I have asked the vet for an autopsy, but she said that it is too far gone, so it looks like he died a few days after last seen on 23rd November. That's a pity as I would like to have known whether it was caused by trichomoniasis (canker) as has been suggested by some watchers. We've never had a case here, but the parasite could be present in the local pigeon population and transferred in the prey.

• Thanks everyone. Very sad news about Rubus, They did do a search or possibly more than one and Rubus might have panicked and come to grief anyway if they had tried to put him back in the box. As for criticism directed at Cilla, some folks sadly just do not understand that the people on the spot need to be left to make their own choices, whether or not others agree with the decision, and of course, folks like Cilla will get advice from the experts and then make their own decision. Surely, passion for the birds motivates all (or nearly all?!) of the people on the spot at every project, and whether or not folks agree with what they might do, everyone needs to hold their tongues (or typing fingers!) and let them get on with it. OK, apologies, since I imagine most or all of you here agree with my rant so I will get off my soapbox now and shut up myself!

Kind regards, Ann