Mourne Mountain Rescue Team praised after carrying dog with heat exhaustion on a stretcher to safety

• Over the years I was involved our local team rescued many animals, dogs, sheep cows and I seem to remember a dead horse in a popular visitor spot. Sheep and dogs were usually down potholes or cracks in rock. I don't remember a call out involving any pigs, maybe they have the most sense. The only call outs I remember concerning heat stroke were for humans. Even our daughters daft retired Greyhound refuses to go out in the real hot weather goes out does what he needs then retires to the utility room with tiled floor.

• People absolutely disgust me at times.
    19th July was the hottest day ever...from what I understand (in UK).
    We had a family trip to Whitby..(40°c)... I couldn't believe how any 'idiots' had taken their dogs around the streets in Whitby!
    One woman had her 'long haired type ' German shepherd in a side street with a tub of ice cream on the floor in front of it.."aw, don't you want it" she says!!!!!!
    What is wrong with these people!!!!!
  • Wendy S said:

Over the years I was involved our local team rescued many animals, dogs, sheep cows and I seem to remember a dead horse in a popular visitor spot. Sheep and dogs were usually down potholes or cracks in rock. I don't remember a call out involving any pigs, maybe they have the most sense. The only call outs I remember concerning heat stroke were for humans. Even our daughters daft retired Greyhound refuses to go out in the real hot weather goes out does what he needs then retires to the utility room with tiled floor.

Pigs back then would be mainly kept in pig stys. It's only in the last couple of decades that farmers have been keeping them out in fields, free to wander as they should be.

• samsw said:
    People absolutely disgust me at times.

19th July was the hottest day ever...from what I understand (in UK).
    We had a family trip to Whitby..(40°c)... I couldn't believe how any 'idiots' had taken their dogs around the streets in Whitby!
    One woman had her 'long haired type ' German shepherd in a side street with a tub of ice cream on the floor in front of it.."aw, don't you want it" she says!!!!!!
    What is wrong with these people!!!!!

As Dave says, often folk mean well, even though it's wrong.

Apart from giving a dog ice cream in itself being wrong, as someone who's done an outdoor survival course many many years ago, one of the worst things to have is ice cold drinks or food on a hot day.

Once that cold drink or food hits the inner body, it suddenly feels cold, so the body increases the blood flow to prevent the risk of freezing and tries to maintain that optimum body temperature.