NEST CAM

LEDGE CAM

As announced by IAN in the 2019 thread:

First egg of the season:

IMAGICAT

• 23 November

Diamond left the ledge @ 18:47.

Xavier flew in @ 19:54:

He paid 3 visits in quick succession before retiring for the night.  Don't all bow at once, but I've perfectly synced the sound from Cam1 onto Cam2, despite the 2 cams being out of sync.  This is the only place I can blow my own trumpet and not be scoffed at (she fondly imagined Grin ).  Note that sometimes Xav chirps but nothing comes out Thinking 

No-one is spending the night on the scrape.

IMAGICAT

• Good news about Cilla collecting Izzi to return him to the scrape, hope Mum & Dad carry on caring for him!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• 24 November

Cilla climbed up all the stairs and a ladder and threw in some lunch for Izzi, then replaced his noisy little body back in his home.  It didn't take him long to start feeding himself, and soon Xavier flew in, rather startled by his reception - he didn't stay long but there was no aggression on his part, as far as I could tell.

Later, Diamond paid a quick visit and then a longer one, she tried to feed Izzi but there were only scraps that Izzi had marmalised:

At the moment Izzi is still on the scrape - he's been familiarising himself with nooks and crannies.

G'night.

IMAGICAT

• Thanks, Scylla. People on chat at the time of Izzi's most recent departure from the nest were saying that Izzi was alarmed by the sound of a loud truck underneath the nest and that was what made him fly this time. I cannot confirm that because I did not have the sound on (Mr GB was asleep and his hearing is far too good--did not want to wake him!), but all that rushing around the scrape before Izzi flew made me think that he did look frightened. Technically, as you know, birds fledge only once--lol! The first time Izzi fell out of the nest (and luckily for him and us, he could fly) but that was not officially a fledge, as it was not of his own volition. The second time was the true fledge 'cuz he clearly chose to do it, while the third was simply flying, due to being scared about what was happening on the ground. I wonder if there had been a very loud lorry close by one or both times when he was picked up by Cilla, making him associate the sound with the trauma of being picked up and also when he was taken to the Vet's the second time, not to mention the possibility of him perhaps hearing a loud lorry one or both times Cilla carried him back up to the nest. Maybe sound reverberates inside that structure--all just speculations, of course.

Kind regards, Ann

• Unknown said:
    Izzi was alarmed by the sound of a loud truck underneath the nest and that was what made him fly this time. I cannot confirm that because I did not have the sound on

Well I added the sound from Cam1 and couldn't hear anything.

It's unfortunate - if I were screen-capturing I've got a way of increasing the live sound, but the download only records "as is".  I've got a feeling I did up the volume in an audio editor but it didn't make much difference.

Dear Cilla Kinross gets very little support on this project, tho her basic responsibilities are not lessened to make way for the perry season Slight frown 

So it's hardly surprising that she can't be on-site witnessing events outside the scrape.

Last night there was thunder and lightning - again, not much in the way of sound, but here's a little vid demo-ing the wind and a couple of lightning flashes:

IMAGICAT

• As you say, Scylla, Diamond did not look worried at all, sleeping through the storm. And that's the ghost of Christmas flying around the scrape, hanging by a spider's thread, but is it the ghost of Christmas past, present or future?!
    As for the sound comment, Izzi did look alarmed about something below the nest, I thought, but I've no idea what it was about.

Kind regards, Ann

• 30 November

I've missed some updates on Chat but it seems that Diamond was spending time with Izzi for some hours and then she took a break and Xavier took over.  But that's just the impression I get from random comments, I can't scroll back to see the source of those opinions.

Here was Xavier on several visits in the early part of the morning - he really don't like that flap a-flappin' Persevere 

IMAGICAT

• I'm going to stop recording these cams now.  I hope I'll remember to keep checking the Chat and Hangout (now that I've worked out how to get in there), and maybe others of us will too Blush

IMAGICAT

• No problem, Scylla, many thanks for everything you do and well done on getting into the Hangout. When Izzi was doing his falling, fledging and re-flying, I read that the Hangout was full, at least then, because there is a limit to the number of participants, apparently. Anyway, I spend far too much time reading these RSPB threads to actively try to get into yet another thing! Must try to get back to real-life-apart-from-this-forum and get a few things done at home before the Ospreys return, having neglected things for 8 months, so I will not be as avidly following these threads for awhile if I can pull myself away for a bit!

Kind regards, Ann

• AA

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here