Nice to see the RED KITE in south Milton Keynes

Hi to everyone

I have recently joined the RSPB and have set up quite a few feeders in my garden and enjoy practicing my photography (keen amateur) and I generally have my camera set up on a tripod pointing at the feeders while I do some work on the pc so excuse the photo as I was a little over exited when I saw a red kite in the sky outside its not easy grabbing a camera on a heavy tripod change the setting try and bend it up at the sky and take a photo I have normally only seen these birds when I was working in the Chilterns (I do not know if they are popular around here) I would have taken it off the tripod but that takes time as its not on a quick release and I did not want to miss the shot or 2 so i thought I just had to share this then may be I can find out if we can expect to see some more of them in the near future i am near farmers fields close to the Milton Keynes to Leighton Buzzard by pass road if that helps I call south Milton Keynes

I have put the 1st pic in to show how far away he was the others are just cropped

Thank you in advance for looking

Rodney

Rodney Lewis

My Photos

• Beautiful bird and always a privilege and a pleasure to see one.

A bird in the hand can make an awful mess!

• Welcome to the Community from me in Cheshire and well done Rodney on spotting the  Red Kite, that must have been fantastic to see.    I started the hobby of photography about a year ago so look forward to seeing any more photos that you get and hearing about your sightings or garden birds, etc.  

Regards, Hazel 

• Yep, more and more areas seem to have these super birds. It's taken a long time to get their numbers back up, lets hope they are left alone this time.

Take care all, Stich.

My gallery Here  Flickr Here    

• Hi Hazel

Thank you for your kind welcome I have had a look at some of your photos and they are great you have a very large selection and you are very good at taking pictures (love the woodpecker)I shall pop and have a few more looks as I get more time I do have a link to my 1st lot of garden pics I think there was about 12 since then I have taken a few more but need to sort them out (in other words throw out the bad ones about 50 percent) then I will put them into the same file smg.photobucket.com/.../Wildlife%20Birds%202013 I am still getting practice at taking in AV mode but now mostly Manual its great when I get it right its just remembering what to reduce and increase but fun learning as I love nature and photography they sure go well together

Best regards

Rodney

Rodney Lewis

My Photos

• Hi stich

Thanks for the comment I used to love watching them years ago when working in the chilterns (would be up to 5 or 6 in the sky at the same time)I think that's why I got over excited when there was one in the sky in our area so fingers crossed on that one I shall keep looking

Rodney Lewis

My Photos

• Hi Alan

I am glad I got a photo to show people I have now brought a quick release for my tripod so if I am lucky and I see him again I may just get a photo worthy of that praise

Best Regards

Rodney

I have a few photos (better quality) from my garden feast on a tree smg.photobucket.com/.../Wildlife%20Birds%202013

Rodney Lewis

My Photos

• Thanks Rodney,  I'm still trying also to get to grips with settings and balancing things out as it's a real mine field  LOL !      I love the photographs you have put up and the Starling is one of the birds we don't get in our garden so always lovely to see.     I am nearly always using AV mode but like to have a practice with Manual and other settings, it's a real learning curve and sometimes feels like I'm trying to learn Chinese  !    I count my blessings when I get that near perfect shot but I love my new hobby and have got the bug.    It is photography that led me to birding as the two can combine very nicely.    I look forward to seeing more of your photos and reading your blogs.   Cheers, Hazel

Regards, Hazel 

• Hi Stich again sorry here is a link to my small album at the moment (it will grow gradually)

Thanks

Rodney Lewis

My Photos

• Hi just a quickie thanks Hazel for your speedy reply and I have just noticed you all have photos so have looked at some of stich shots and then some of doggies alans there all great photos (its going to be easy to get sidetracked looking at pics) but what I think is great for me is I do not know lots of bird species I have taken photos and don't know the names but looking at all your pics you have all the birds I have been photographing so its teaching me a bit quicker thank you all I am going to try and sort my pics of when i went to the Lodge in Sandy the other day for a few hours that was the windy day I looked like a scarecrow when I got back to the car

Regards

Rodney

Rodney Lewis

My Photos

• Hi Alan

Thanks I will keep you to that

Rodney Lewis

My Photos