Have you ever seen a Sparrowhawk take a Wood Pigeon from your garden?

Hello. I've got a feeder set up in my garden and I get a good number of birds coming to it, but when I went out a couple of weeks ago I found lots of Wood Pigeon feathers on the lawn. He'd obviously been attacked by something because there were loads of feathers around, but there was no sign of him in the fir trees nearby.

I blamed it on a local cat and have been shooing him away ever since because the number of pigeons I get has tailed off ever since. I used to have 4 or 5 wood pigeons, feral pigeons or the occasional stock dove hanging around most of the day, but now it's just an occasional one every now and then.

but when I looked out my window today I got a big surprise when I saw a Sparrowhawk sitting on top of my feeder!

I've never seen one in my garden before and it was quite exciting and he was just sitting there for a few minutes like he owned the place (which I suppose he does)

Now I'm wondering if I've been blaming it on the cat when it was actually this Sparrowhawk flying around the neighbourhood (there are lots of big gardens and tall trees everywhere).

has anyone seen a Sparrowhawk take a Wood pigeon from their garden feeder before?

•   I believe the reason behind me actually getting all the amazing birds I do get in my very open and small garden is due to the fact that my neighbour has these stunning trees very close to my garden and they always fly in from the right so know they are coming from that way....

1. Also behind our street we are surrounded by miles of open fields and woodland so are extremely lucky to be surrounded in such beautiful surroundings and also the reason we get the birds of prey we get. 

Sparrowhawks, buzzards and we have also seen a red kite in the fields as well actually on my husband's 50th birthday and we were having a birthday party in the garden and above us was a red kite, it was magnificent.