The feral vacuum cleaners!!

I have had to admit defeat with these pigeons, as after many discussion and attempts of still attracting my local goldies, but without 3 plus at a time all day, trampling round underneath the dropped sunflower hearts. Ahh well, I guess you can't choose which birds can come to your garden!!
  • Think of them as nature's cleaner uppers! They clear up any seed that might otherwise fall onto the ground and then sprout.

• Yes they do have their uses I guess, it's just the mess they make themselves is hard to watch. Especially when large numbers enter the garden like 12 at once

• Jennifer T said:
    They clear up any seed that might otherwise fall onto the ground and then sprout.

Hi Mrs. T,   I just tried baking the sunflower hearts in the oven (15 mins @ 180c  or microwave for 5 mins )  to try stop any fallen seeds sprouting ......... seems to have worked so far !         @  Alan,  if you are reading this ......did you try cooking/microwaving the seeds to stop them sprouting ? 

Regards, Hazel 

• The ferals have completely stopped coming to our garden, the wood pigeons took over for a while and now they've been replaced by collared doves. I'm beginning to wonder if they're all operating a time share!

"Let loose the Kraken!"

• Stuart did you used to get as many as I do visiting? How long for? I wonder why they stopped coming

• Unknown said:

Nope i haven't tried it Hazy i will give it a go in the microwave

I put the sunflower hearts on two large baking trays in the Aga (as it is always on) and so far I haven't seen any shoots poking through the ground, fingers crossed !    hope it works well for you too,  5 mins microwave !      post edit:   I read that you can microwave the seeds in a paper bag.

Regards, Hazel 

• I have a regular group of between 40 and 50 Ferals every day. They can't get into the SBS, so they have their own feeding area and as much seed as they can eat! I'm not sure the neighbours approve any more, so I might have to cut back a bit. There is a large Feral colony about half a mile away that is constantly fed by some of the more eccentric local folk so my Pigeon Mafia won't go hungry if I reduce the menu. They are great at clearing up after the other birds have departed for the day, especially in the Summer months!

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Wow that is a large amount. Well there is a huge group of then sat sit on a house near the edge of the estate, not sure why they do as I don't think any food is there for them, but seems to be the odd ones that come over to my garden (mainly as soon as the goldies arrive!!)