In a Scottish country garden

Hi all, I'd like to offer a bit of background to this thread, if I may? We moved back to central, rural Scotland from S Wales in 2022 and have been adapting to but loving the solitude and quiet that has brought but, for me, it's the wildlife, the birds. We are SO lucky to have birds visiting the garden that I'd hoped I might see here. Now I see most of them daily so, I have a "few" photos taken from my den, (wee box room) where I look out directly at an Ash tree and our feeders. 

So, I'd like to share some of those images here, I hope that works or is the way it's done?

September 1st 2024

As an example, as I typed this, I spotted a wee bird landing at the base of the tree, turned out to be a young Robin. Robins are a less frequent visitor so I was up and grabbing a few shots when an adult shot in and chased it off!! Typical. 

This morning, my mood was totally lifted by the first (as far as I know) visit of a wee flock of Long-tailed Tits AND, a couple stood still long enough to photograph! Bonus Smile

Set September off nicely. Thumbsup

I don't think I've had such clear shots before, they're usually at dawn or dusk and in a hurry!

Really pleased to get these shots, I'm sure there will be more, they come through more often as the weather changes. 

• Anyway, I hope you don't mind an introduction to the other birds we get around us.

I'm always happy to see what wildlife are around the UK, and it's nice to see people appreciate what's in their locality, along with their visits to reserves, local  or distant countryside (inc outside the UK).

• I've noticed a couple of images not displaying properly but I'm not going to edit again .... in case, when I click on the symbol, the image opens anyway Thinking

They all seem to be showing clearly here.

It may be the server needs a little more time to upload and process the images, taking into account the server will be scanning for rogue files, like viruses, phishing and other files that can steal valuable data.

I'll add to that, until very recently, accessing the community pages at the start of the month (often for periods lasting between 24-72 hrs) has been fraught with access issues due to end of month data uploads by the host. Thankfully that seems to be a thing we're not currently seeing.

• Beautiful birds and photos

Regards, Hazel 

• Very nice again, and lots of them.

• It's one of those rare mornings up here where the sun is shining right from the moment it rose over the horizon and still is! I can feel a walk coming on. Meanwhile, outside the window, the new feeder stands seem to have made it through yesterday's high wind, which is nice for the 'peckers Slight smile

Good morning all Wave hope it's a good day with you Thumbsup

• September 18th 2024 - OK, not quite in the garden but out the back, over the fence and down the field, there are currently 8 - 10 Red Kites & Buzzards competing for the aftermath of the harvest and now the baler, can't stop taking photos! Smile

Some of the first shots were pretty long range but with an old prime lens so they turn out sharper (IMO) Slight smile

Just to give an idea of range with the 300mm lens. First shot as taken, second centred, third cropped to view. Buzzard

Same again, this time with a Red Kite.

More Red Kites started to gather

Finish off tomorrow .... Wave

• Wow! What happened there????? Confused

• OK I finally finished. There are a LOT of photos but I'll not share them all Relieved suffice to say it was a great day for bird watching in the sun.

PS I'm not going to mess about with sizing any more, the site obviously doesn't like it Disappointed

Red Kites and Buzzard stacked

Red Kites and Buzzard

Buzzard eyeing up a snack

Red Kite over the bales

Red Kites and Buzzards over the fields

Red Kite formation flying

Buzzards and Red Kites

Red Kite scuffle

Red Kite and buzzard scuffle - looks like the kite attacked the Buzzard

Solo Buzzard

Red Kites eyeing up a Buzzard snack

Buzzard drops its catch to a Red Kite

Nick Wink

Red Kite cruising by

Catch of the day - in many ways Heart eyes

It's on days like those that I think of all those folks with more money than me, who have all the best Nikon gear .............. lying in a closet Disappointed

• I've had yet another hectic, (dreich) morning sitting at the Mac, looking out the window watching g ll the feeder activity and editing existing photos. I just noticed the first post in this thread was September 1st shots and lo and behold, I started trying to clear the backlog of .......... September shots.

Jeez there's a  few Rolling eyes  

So, September 1st, revisited.

Blue Tits are here all year long, which is great.

As are the Chaffinches, lots of them! 

I know we're extra lucky having Great Spotted Woodpeckers visiting our feeders and absolutely love watching their antics.

This young bird looks like it's been caught red handed Laughing

Lots of young birds growing up right now, changing colours, the subtle changes of Chaffinches goes almost unnoticed but it definitely happens.

Dining at the twin trunks cafe!

I really love the Starlings as they change, part brown, part Starling-coloured! Smile

I took these all in the same session, I also love when you can see that the bird is fully aware of me in the window.

Look at that face! Gonnae no dae that! Laughing

September is done, phew, loads deleted, a good few kept and shared, just 29 more days to go!!!!! Scream Wave

• Great to see so many Kites Scozmos.