In a Scottish country garden

Hi all, I'd like to offer a bit of background to this thread, if I may? We moved back to central, rural Scotland from S Wales in 2022 and have been adapting to but loving the solitude and quiet that has brought but, for me, it's the wildlife, the birds. We are SO lucky to have birds visiting the garden that I'd hoped I might see here. Now I see most of them daily so, I have a "few" photos taken from my den, (wee box room) where I look out directly at an Ash tree and our feeders. 

So, I'd like to share some of those images here, I hope that works or is the way it's done?

September 1st 2024

As an example, as I typed this, I spotted a wee bird landing at the base of the tree, turned out to be a young Robin. Robins are a less frequent visitor so I was up and grabbing a few shots when an adult shot in and chased it off!! Typical. 

This morning, my mood was totally lifted by the first (as far as I know) visit of a wee flock of Long-tailed Tits AND, a couple stood still long enough to photograph! Bonus Smile

Set September off nicely. Thumbsup

I don't think I've had such clear shots before, they're usually at dawn or dusk and in a hurry!

Really pleased to get these shots, I'm sure there will be more, they come through more often as the weather changes. 

• Welcome home Yum

Lovely little lollipops.

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Nice photo's Scozmos, always good when they have time to pose Grinning

• I like your little story Scozmos. The photos are beautiful, especially when in zoom, the detail is brilliant. What a bird to capture, the lovely lollypops. Hope you get lots more visitors. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Hope the move went well and glad your happy moving back to Scotland lovely photos of the long tailed tits (lolly pops) Look forward to your next post Scozmos 

• Good morning all Wave and thank you, we really are very happy and very pleased to have this around us. I'll keep updating here and there is a bit of a back story!!!! Smile, bird photo-wise.

• September 2nd 2024  

We've woken up to an even more dreich day here today. Foggy, wet, cloudy and grey, c'est la vie. Just before we left Caerphilly, grey and dank seemed to be the future weather, it seems it followed us here Laughing

Came through to the den this morning to the sight of three, yes, three woodpeckers on the feeders! I was very surprised to see two adult males but realised they probably couldn't see each other around the tree trunk and the youngster was hiding and sneaking near its dad? Just a guess but it wasn't being chased off.

Adult male Great Spotted Woodpecker and Great Tit

It was only as I checked all the feeders that I noticed another male GSW!

Two adult male GSW on feeders

I have seen two males at the feeders before but there's usually a disagreement and off they go so it was great to see them both feeding.You can just make out the red patch on the left bird.

Young GSW and dad?

One thing I have noticed is that the youngsters seem to shut down for a wee while now and again. Maybe like our own babies, they need a little rest after eating? 

Young GSW taking a break

Both males flew off soon after and the youngster hung around for a short while, literally.

Meanwhile, I've been hopping up and down in between typing this and editing photos, the young Robin turned up again and I managed to grab a few shots. 

Young Robin under the tree

It's typical of the fickleness of nature that Robins are rare visitors to the garden up here, yet common down in S Wales and yet, we have Tree Sparrows and Yellowhammers aplenty, I guess the farmland and trees all around have a lot to do with it.

Young male Chaffinch under the tree

There are so many Chaffinches out there, I don't count any more, 20 to 30 on a busy day! There's a mixed hedge to the left of us and that's where they live, along with the House and Tree Sparrows. Towards the back or bottom of that hedge is where the Reed Buntings and yellowhammers hang out, when they're around. Smile

As you might guess, I take and have a LOT of photos Laughing

I also tried to document all the young birds that have been to the feeders this year, I report on BirdTrack when I remember. 

To add some context, I've added a shot of my window, I'm standing behind my seat, to the right in this shot so, I just swivel the chair and start shooting ......... in theory Laughing

The branches you see near the window are from a cut Ash branch, I have a seed tray on my window sill and the birds hop onto the branch then down to grab a few seeds, usually Sunflower heart chips.

(Really MUST clean my window, again) Wave

• You have a great view Scozmos and by the look of things a great selection of birds and I would Imagine the birds and variety shall Increase over time. 

• I'm looking forward to the following posts on your sightings/observations. Fingers crossed

You'll always grab peoples attention with lollipops or tennis balls, whatever term you wish to use. 

• Laughing cheers  I'll attempt to keep it up, so to speak Thumbsup

• The two adult male GSW are both back on feeders at the moment, could they be related? Thinking