My new macro lens, first attempts

As some will know I invested in a new macro lens last week and it arrived yesterday, so I have been scouting around the garden, like you do, for likely suspects. The lens is a Canon RF100mm IS USM f/2.8 macro, Being used with my Canon R7. So far I am very impressed with it's capabilities. I just need to improve the guy hanging on the back of the cameras capabilities a bit ... Wink. All shots were taken hand held with no flash or anything.

Two Ants ready for a scrap

An Aphid on a flower stem

Didn't know I had so many Aphids!

Zebra Jumping Spider on top of my shed door

I believe this is a Quedius Curtipennis better known as some kind of Beetle ... Wink

And another ... Well it's the same one really ... Smile

Inside a Petunia in my garden

• RAW + Adobe Lightroom increases options. The pricing structure for stand-alone Adobe products has gone silly, and Adobe's online provisions are (IMO) also a bit silly. Still running LR3 on a stand-alone PC. Although I don't know how it might handle/interpret an upgraded camera carcass. Having an old camera carcass i very rarely venture above 200 or 400.

I might have to break out my old-style MPE lens and play around with it again. Effective f-stops means flash is pretty much essential most of the time. The lens is total manual focus (and rack and tripod).. And anything less than 1:1 size is not possible. A garden spider can sometimes fill most of the frame on a full-frame (35mm film equiv) sensor. I wouldn't like to

I seem to have lost my (1:5)  frames of the silica injection system that stingling nettles have all over their leaves.

I like having shots where the pollinators are seen to have pollen on them.

• Good to see the macro lens is doing a good job, and those piccies are so sharp and clear, and many thanks for sharing.

It might be worth linking this thread your initial thoughts about the macro lens in the mirrorless thread.

Now I've a little more time this week, I'll post an update on the new RF lenses. Yes, no typo, lenses, two of them. That's my excuse for being absent.....

• Thanks, Tuwit, I'm running Lightroom Classic + Photoshop (£10 a month subscription) but only just started last week, so barely understanding what I'm doing at the moment. I've been shooting raw+jpeg, so am still doing the minimal tweaks I can on the jpegs before posting here. If I find I can't make the RAW images better than the tweaked jpegs I'll give up shooting RAW.

• I can't make the RAW images better than the tweaked jpegs I'll give up shooting RAW.

I know I've asked this before (I've been asleep a few times since then Rolling eyes), do you not use the dedicated Nikon software for adjusting/editing the RAW files?

• No... I've only just started shooting RAW, Mike, and as there seem to be a billion online tutorials/youtube videos about it, plus the ones within it, I thought that would be easiest way to learn even if there a re a million functions within them

• No... I've only just started shooting RAW, Mike, and as there seem to be a billion online tutorials/youtube videos about it, plus the ones within it, I thought that would be easiest way to learn even if there a re a million functions within them

Yes, there are too many tutorials for many things.

I don't edit RAW too often, but it can sometimes be very handy to pull an image through, when jpegs seem to need a little assistance. There are times when RAW doesn't give the better quality, a lot is trial and error. The best way to learn is experiment yourself and push the editing boundaries.

Before I do any editing, I back up the original images first, then if any go AWOL, I still have the original to go back to.

Apologies and thanks to  for hijacking his thread.