Waxwings at Shelford

This year has seen an incredible number of waxwings in the country, especially in East Anglia. Talking to others waiting for them, I think the last time something similar happened was 2017. 

In December, I tried to see them 4 times. Each time, there was a crowd of people hoping to see them as they fed on a small rowan trees, with people getting very close to the trees or crossing right in front of them. Maybe it was the crowd (I believe a similar event last year in March directly led to me failing to observe a lesser spotted woodpecker- just too many people), but each of these 4 times, I did not see them. One such time I missed a group of waxwings by just 5 minutes. 

Then came endless wind and rain, and when I went the waxwings were no more. They had vanished soon after. Waxwings are very mobile birds, and the previous week I had been searching in nearby locations, but they seemed to fly away as soon as someone saw them. 

Until 30 of them reappeared in Shelford. Later joined by 11 to the north of that. So I decided to try for the 5th-and last-time. I have seen waxwings before, and this was getting out of hand. The last time I was trying and failing to see a specific bird to such an incredible extent was a golden oriole in 2018, which I eventually managed to catch at an open perch (after passing by dozens of times and failing to look properly).

At Shelford station, however, there was a tree, and that tree was full of waxwings. 

Finally, I saw them. Compared with the last time, I got much closer, much better and much sharper images of the beautiful birds. I was impressed, but still think Japanese waxwings are prettier because the yellow is replaced by red (imagine the stampede if that turned up in the UK!)

There were just 3 others there with me. I tried taking photos as they fed on a rowan tree, but every time they flew over, a car came crashing over the rail crossing and sent them flying back. Eventually they gave up and flew far away to perch at the top of a tall tree, and I left soon after. 

I really hope my other bird targets for 2024 don't cause me such problems. 

• I'm afraid you did indeed get much closer, and it is obvious you haven't learned from previous and are still disturbing wildlife, as your second photo shows.

I haven't spent time digging out some of your worst previous photos, incl breaking the law to disturb and photo roosting barn owls. Others you posted, incl disturbing a golden oriole, drowning frogs, and chasing a sparrowhawk with prey down an alley are below:-

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/where-to-watch-wildlife/209548/where-can-i-see-common-frogs-in-cambridge/1311355#1311355

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/275427/golden-orioles-how-a-major-dissapointment-became-an-acheivement

community.rspb.org.uk/.../wildlife-cambridge-2021

community.rspb.org.uk/.../uk-s-last-lady-amherst-s-pheasant

• It is amazing what a DSLR capable of 126x zoom can do. You should really invest in one, maybe you will be less jealous when you yourself will begin to get better photos.

"are still disturbing wildlife, as your second photo shows" Highly amusing. I seem to recall I was standing in the exact same spot when I took both photos, just rotated my camera 90 degrees. Did you notice that my photos are a bit grainy as well when you were trying to scan them for expressions of horror on the waxwing's faces? A side effect of a full 126x digital zoom.

As for your other 'claims'...

"community.rspb.org.uk/.../uk-s-last-lady-amherst-s-pheasant"
    Oh how scary, I got a good photo with an 800mm lens at full zoom. "I disturbed the bird". No I didn't. Neither did the multitude of people who got much better photos of than me of the bird at Manor Park

community.rspb.org.uk/.../golden-orioles-how-a-major-dissapointment-became-an-acheivement
    "Disturbing the oriole". First of all, from what I understood, an oriole photo is not that common, so if you yourself failed in your endeavours you should deal with your jealousy better. Second of all, what part of "About 70 meters away there was a tree standing right out in the open" do you warp and distort the meaning of to make it seem like I disturbed it?. Notice the abysmal quality of the photo? Similarly, 126x digital zoom. If you don;t understand what that means, it can visualize a red-breasted goose extremely well from 500m away.

community.rspb.org.uk/.../wildlife-cambridge-2021
    "and chasing a sparrowhawk with prey down an alley are below". This is not what I wrote in the above link. "I quickly went over to the other side of the street to give it some space". And I also seem to mention it flew down the alley after a family passed right next to it.

You seem to have missed something: community.rspb.org.uk/.../december-birds-of-prey
    Go on, spread your stories about how I charged the bush and chased the owls out of there, shaking a stick and throwing stones. Or you can contact the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust and ask about it. Yes, it was they who told me how to do so and get so close to them. Something to do with a a bird hide...

community.rspb.org.uk/.../1311355
    Oh yes, my clickbaity response to your accusations that I was planning to, what was it? Climb into a barn owl nestbox and feed on its flesh? Oh, wait, "breaking the law to disturb and photo roosting barn owls". I never said that nor suggested it.

You know what I also did? I took the following photo at Eldernell. When you see it, bear in mind that it is evil incarnate. I must ask you not to scream when you see it. www.birdforum.net/.../ Go on and make up some more rumours about it. Except it might be a little bit challenging because anyone who sees the photo will tell you that the owl is completely relaxed. You can also choose any other of my photos and spread stories, makes no difference to me.

I don't know what you're problem is, but endlessly stalking and harassing my posts is known as trolling and, well, internet stalking. You should be highly disappointed in yourself. You can vent your anger and frustration as much as you want, this is my last response to you. I have better things to do than engage in discussions with liars and trolls.