Wildlife Cambridge 2021

The glossy ibis is still here!

It is very showy recently, and has been hanging out in the flooded fields by the A14 for the past two weeks. I managed to get much better images of it than before. When the lockdown began I used my exercise time to see wildlife. Currently on the priority list is a place where a goosander's been seen, and a place where very recently a tawny owl has been calling in the city. I treid to search for the goosander but didn't find it. However, as I was returning past a library a bird began moving in the hedges and a brown tail appeared into view. I thought it was a pheasant, but what it really was caused me to swerve off the pavement in surprise. I quickly went over to the other side of the street to give it some space. It was a female sparrowhawk sitting on a pigeon it had killed.

I observed it for some time as it plucked its victim right on the ground, but I have forgotten my memory card and was only able to take five images. During this time the sparrowhawk didn't budge as a car rode past, but suddenly got agitated and flappy as I watched as a family went past. It tried to lift off, still carrying the pigeon, but failed to fly up more than about half a meter. Undeterred, it sped around the corner and down a small alleyway. It chose a compost heap as its perch as I moved to view it. 

This was incredibly surprising. Usually I see birds of prey from hundreds, minimum tens of meters away when it involves the city peregrine pair which live above a traffic light. But briefly the distance between me and the hawk was less than a meter until it seemed both of us surprised each other. I would ahve never have noticed it in the hedges had it not moved its tail off the pavement into the bushes!

• A nice capture Gleb.

I'm not sure what camera you were using, but I always keep a basic compact in the car, just for those moments when I don't have a camera to hand.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Really poor that you are still deliberately, and openly, writing about disturbing wildlife to get your photos.
  • In reply to Mike B:

Thanks! This was a Sony DSC-H400. In both situations the zoom was close to 63x, as I usually do
  • In reply to Robbo:

Do not comment on my posts again.
  • In reply to Robbo:

Please be aware that trolling goes against the community guidelines and leads to consequences
  • In reply to Gleb B:

Gleb B said:
    Please be aware that trolling goes against the community guidelines and leads to consequences

I seem to remember back in August when you could have been accused of the same thing when you deliberately bombarded this forum with more than a dozen posts in a row and in other posts showed your great lack of consideration for the wildlife you actively hunted out to the point of disturbance or removing creatures from their natural habitat.    This community really cares  about all wildlife and the use of this community forum and courteous manner shown to users.      I am keeping this reply, as always, in polite manner but gently pointing out that "people in glass-houses should not throw stones"  -  please bear in mind that some of us still remember your past posts on this community forum.       I think the screen grab below speaks for itself -   in this instance you had 13 posts in a row, plus others when you deliberately swamped this forum to irk members (primarily I think due to the justified reaction and comments you received on  THIS THREAD)   and that is most likely why you had no replies when you acted somewhat immaturely to swamp the forum following that previous post.       

In that post  "Where can I see common frogs in Cambridge? "   you quoted     "  I care more about grades and less about some lesser creatures thinking I'll kill them and stressing out "  
    " Yes, I will do just that. All of that. will remove frogs from their habitat, do the experiment, then put them back."     " Oh and also for the record, I do put frog welfare far below bird welfare "        

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

Ah, so I am not allowed to share my enthusiasm for wildlife, now? These 13 posts were me sharing my experiences, and you have no right to even speak out against this, let alone falsely accuse me of deliberately flooding the forum. I share when I take images of wildlife, and I won't even attempt to 'justify' myself with the real reason I posted so much.

I care about birdlife more than froglife is going back to a debate on another forum where I mentioned that I supported the reintroduction of white storks, which are native birds. About 5 different people tried to make a laughing stock out of me.
    I don't feel frogs should be a barrier for bringing exterminated wildlife back. Hence my overreaction.

Do not ever accuse me again. Like Robbo, you are spreading misinformation about me, whcih goes against community rules.
  • In reply to Gleb B:

Gleb B said:

I care about birdlife more than froglife is going back to a debate on another forum where I mentioned that I supported the reintroduction of white storks, which are native birds. About 5 different people tried to make a laughing stock out of me.

I wonder if they succeeded.

• Hello all,

We can see that there has been some disagreements in this thread and we’re going to lock it for now, as we would like to draw a line under this. Please remember to be kind and courteous to all other forum members, at all times.

Have a good day,
    RSPB Admin.