my contribution to conservation for Kestrels. the international bird of prey centre in Newent and there current conservation efforts

a few years ago i saved some money and then at christmas and birthday i ended up with 100 pounds.  most people would want to go on holiday with that or buy stuff with that but that wasnt on my mind and i wanted to use it to adopt a kestrel to help contribute to there conservation cause they were in decline in my county and i had my heart set on it that is what I really wanted so that is what i used most of my money on. adopting the Kestrel didnt cost 1 hundred pounds but it was half of my money. i didnt mind that though. so I adopted a kestrel to help with conservation. the adoption lasted until the summer of the year after so was worth it. and i felt good for doing it. i got a card to say thankyou aswell as information about the one i adopted with interesting facts about kestrels and there conservation status 

i looked for the sheet today but I left it at home with my parents. but i have got the post card 

the forest of dean where the international bird of prey centre resides in. was nearby an hour away from my parents house i was at on my birthday. so I went there for my birthday.  it was the same year as when  i had not long had a unique close encounter with tame but wild buzzards teaching there young how to fly right next to me at an orchard. closest encounter you can get. i had never seen birds of prey before in my life before back then until that unexspected encounter. it inspired me to overcome my fear of wildlife and triggered my interest in Wildlife and my Wildlife watching hobby. which was in spring that year. then in winter I went to the international bird of prey  centre when it was my birthday that same year. i didnt adopt a kestrel until a few years later.

i was going to go to the international bird of prey centre for my birthday this year cause i havnt  gone for a couple of years now but Mum found out they were closed meaning im going to have to do something else for my birthday like go to the barn owl bird of prey centre near me instead. but that aside iv found some interesting information as to the situation and where there conservation efforts are going 

•  me and my family didnt know they had closed down but when i asked her when they closed down she said it was in January last year. we didnt know they had closed down until recently. its interesting what they say about the breeding project there working on in Newent
    I had no idea they were doing that in the forest of dean and that that was one of the reasons they closed

• I wasn't aware Newent had closed its doors. Thanks for posting.

Re hen harriers, captive breeding pgm, potential releasing etc.......all very controversial. As you may have noticed, supporters (under acknowledgements) are lacking bird and wildlife charities who are against what is going on still (unless I've missed something). Shooting industry seems keen to press ahead with it.

Re ICBP, funding may have dictated decisions. Are tax payers funding ICBP now, via Natural England and contracts?

Ultimately, unless the causes of hen harrier declines/number limits are addressed properly, schemes like this will likely fail. Introducing hen harriers isn't comparable to introducing red kites, or even white tailed eagles. Wiltshire, and neighbouring counties like Glos have lots of shooting interests, and it's just swapping red grouse out and red legged partridges and pheasants in. Everything else is the same as up in northern England where hen harrier numbers aren't increasing.

The other issue is 'statistics'. Even if a few hen harriers are released, counting those releases as 'proof' of England's hen harrier population improving is misuse of stats.

• stealthybutnotthatstealthy said:

I wasn't aware Newent had closed its doors. Thanks for posting.

Re hen harriers, captive breeding pgm, potential releasing etc.......all very controversial. As you may have noticed, supporters (under acknowledgements) are lacking bird and wildlife charities who are against what is going on still (unless I've missed something). Shooting industry seems keen to press ahead with it.

Re ICBP, funding may have dictated decisions. Are tax payers funding ICBP now, via Natural England and contracts?

Ultimately, unless the causes of hen harrier declines/number limits are addressed properly, schemes like this will likely fail. Introducing hen harriers isn't comparable to introducing red kites, or even white tailed eagles. Wiltshire, and neighbouring counties like Glos have lots of shooting interests, and it's just swapping red grouse out and red legged partridges and pheasants in. Everything else is the same as up in northern England where hen harrier numbers aren't increasing.

The other issue is 'statistics'. Even if a few hen harriers are released, counting those releases as 'proof' of England's hen harrier population improving is misuse of stats.

I have noticed that it says conservation charitys are in support of it. it doesnt say what charitys though. so i wondered why if  it is controversal i would say that could be one of the reasons. in reference to the are tax payers funding ibp now.  cause of my learning dusability i dont understand tax or bills so if its related to taxes in relation to funding i dont know the answer but others mighf do. but that aside for the rest of what you said 

if they werw to release the birds of prey though they would of been wild ones that have been put in captivaty to breed and then release.  instead of bringing a wild bird from the wild to the uk, satalite tag them to keep track of there movements and what they do then release into the wild since its conservation breeding so yes. also  iv recently found out about another comtroversal situation that has ocured this year aswell. a method where they take  hen harrior eggs for monitering hen harior populations but of course with this captive breeding however which is a differant technique the international bird if prey centre are clearly hopeful. in the article it has aknoledged other conservation charitys but it doesnt say what ones however iv recently found an article that says some called conservation charitys dont agree with it like you said was the case but its the way its phrased that is not quiet acurate i should point out. still it says why they dont and the RSPB is one of them 

• Article about Bid of Prey Centres! Some of this I don’t agree witih!

Regards,

Ian.

• Article about the Moorland Association. I do know more about that organisation.

Regards,

Ian.

• https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006320723001738

Illegal killing associated with gamebird management accounts for up three-quarters of annual mortality in Hen Harriers Circus cyaneus-ScienceDirect. Report from earlier this year 2023. Long scientific report!

Regards,

Ian.