Another visit to Bempton Cliffs

Any room for me

Its like being in a dog fight, i am on your tail,

Are you sure we are at the right landing strip ? I dont really

know,

Flipping heck what kind of landing was that, answer, North

Not seen a puffin all day, wait is that one down there ?

Yes on that small ledge a long way away

Puffin bottom of picture on little ledge

That albatros was this big

Is he on about that albatros again, Yep

Dont look down, dont look down

Looks like he has lost his nerve

Is that a wheatear over there ? i need some glasses mind you 

its about 100m away

Is that another one ? no its a meadow pippit i think ?

Whats over here

There must be something to eat in here

A fluffy caterpillar

No, you dont see many of them i shall leave him to live another

day.

Some wild flowers

Yes those flowers are lovely

They are that

A tree sparrow enjoying them too

Its a good view up here

Look at that cliff it looks like its got a welly on its foot, well it does

to me

Your not wrong it does look like its got a welly on its foot

I agree

me too

What do you think, yes it does

Confirmed

• Lovely selection and commentary ILR, whetted my appetite for when I get there, hopefully next month (for the 1st time) mother-in-law permitting lol
  • In reply to PimperneBloke:

Thanks PB glad you liked them. Hopefully the puffins will have arrived in numbers when you visit.
    There was the odd one in the sea but a long way away to photograph but there was plenty to see regardless. I saw a Barn Owl in flight but again too far away to photograph. The last time I went to Bempton Cliffs later in the day I visited the lighthouse and there were lots of stone chats and I saw seals and a barn owl there too
    It is certainly worth visiting there too.
  • We have booked a caravan close by at Gristhorpe for a few days next week so I hope we get a chance to see some of these birds. Seabirds are sadly missing from our year list so far.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Wonderful variety of species and sightings; it's a place we haven't visited but rapidly going up the list now we've seen your lovely photos.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to Seaman:

Hi Pete
    Yes there are lots to see and well worth a visit. This was the second time this year and wouldn’t rule out another visit. You could also visit the lighthouse and north landing if you have the time both well worth a visit.
  • In reply to HAZY:

Hi Hazel Thank you,
    You won’t be disappointed, we didn’t see the albatross
    But while we were there some birdwatchers told us they had seen it earlier in the morning. Nevertheless we had a great day and saw sea birds we had not seen before.
  • In reply to i love robins:

Thanks ILR North Landing is our favourite site for Puffins, much easier to see them there than at Bempton but for us Bempton is the spot for Gannets and we can usually find Corn Bunting which is scarce here at home. We also have found a couple of spots on the headland where we can look down into the nests safely

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

That’s interesting Pete I managed to see a meadow pipit and a wheatear but I didn’t see a corn bunting maybe next time thanks for the tip about the puffins at north landing, we did go there but I don’t think they have arrived in numbers yet.
  • Some cracking photos ILR, and while Bempton is on my list, I think it'll be next year now, I'm spent out after a week in Scotland, Wales and Cornwall yet to follow....

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

Thanks Mike hope you had a good holiday you have been missed