Big Garden Bird watch

Im going to take part in the Big Garden Bird watch. Last time I took part I mostly took pictures of and counted how many pigeons blackbirds and tits I saw but I also saw  some that werent written down to record. Like a Raven and a Chaffinch and potentially Red wing I think. The bird watch isn’t far away.  Is any one else going to join the Big garden Bird watch too ?  

• That's correct Hazel, for it to be accurate people should not count flyovers as you would on a normal bird census.
  • Thanks. I remember that from that from last time I had to remember to Count the ones that are landing and not the ones that are flying.they dont allways land but they do sometimes Its just a matter of waiting to see if they land or not. I find more birds are on the ground when its been cold and rainy or when its warm and sunny. And when its just cloudy theres usualy less birds or if it’s windy flying. I tend to see the seagulls hover and glide during windy weather. When its been raining I find the land more often and take advantage of worms and things on the ground. Exspeacialy Blackbirds and Robins and Starlings insect eating birds. I do get herring gulls sometimes and I tend to see them land and try to look for food more often than the other gulls. I think weather you see more or less birds can be dependant on the weather even during the big garden Birdwatch but depending on the weather it will affect what kind of birds will land and how many you can count. Even when its cloudy you can still see birds though. I dont allways get birds in the garden but I do get some that Visit a lot if there they decide they like the food that is there. If not they don’t visit much. It’s cold and rainy today but before it rained I saw 2 magpies geting berry suet from the bowl and 1 flew off with it in his mouth and saw 2 or 3 Woodpigeons and then a Blue tit call from the tree Abit later on. So I think there will still be  Birds to report even if its cold or windy during the big garden Birdwatch good luck to you aswell. 

• Cooll. Yesterday I thought it was only 3 days away but it was actualy only 2 days away. I checked on the RSPB website and it says it’s only 1 day away now. Here’s the link to the website where I found out
    https://www.rspb.org.uk/ it takes you to the countdown. There doing a countdown to the Big Garden Birdwatch. 

What kind of birds do you think are  likely for you  in this Big Garden Watch? 

• Chris has just finished doing her count from our windoe while I supplied the coffee. I think maybe most interesting was a pair of Blackcaps looking as if they were nest site prospecting. Have they overwintered or are they very early migrants ? I suspect that they have overwintered but who can say ? One expected bird that was missing was Robin. All birds seen were in the hedge or tree nothing on the feeders, must be plenty of natural food around despite early frost. Total count 11 species.
  • I'm not sure we'll be partaking in the BGBW this year, next door have removed all the trees and shrubs yesterday and today, the feeders are still full from this mornings filling up!

That is not normal, even on a quiet day!

• A blackcap appeared several times on the feeders - first time I've ever seen one in my garden! Also, a jay (very handsome) at the bird bath, drinking! Maybe they all turned up because I've recently started volunteering for the RSPB!  ;-)

• Hi-

Current visitors to the feeders are
    Great and Blue Tits, House Sparrow , Chaffinch, Dunnock, Magpie , Jay , Wood Pig, Stock Dove,
    GSWP,

S
  • I didn’t get much chance to bird watch for an hour somewhere today I had a unexpectedly very busy day. While I was busy I heard a Magpie on the roof. He was makeing a lot of racket. Goodness knows what he was doing but they can be very curious and experimental and cheeky and even wind each other up sometimes. But there was one and not two so In this case it sounded more like he was doing something to the roof. The Starlings Do it a lot aswell sometimes but the seagulls and Woodpigeon abit less frequently than Magpies and Starlings Unless mateing or being territorial. With the Starlings They get algae and Lichen off the roof and it lands on the ground. Outside of the Birdwatch I saw 2 Woodpigeons and 5 Starlings, and 1 Blackbird.
    Inside the big garden Birdwatch between tomorrow and Sunday im going to choose an hour and a place to count some. If there isnt any then I will have to put 0 but knowing my area I will probably see at least one if any thing. But depending on the weather theres usualy some wildlife nearby anyway so during the hour I chosen I will probably be able to count any of the birds that land there sometimes anyway. There isn’t much Berry pellets I’m my bowl but Im going to top it up and the Magpies absoloutly love the pellets so there probably going to visit during the big garden birdwatch anyway. I dont get any stock doves. interestingly theres collared doves in hucclecote which is near the famous chosen hill. but I never get them any where I am locally. I only get Woodpigeons  in the Dove/Pigeon family. The feral pigeons are more near the Gloucester city and the far more urbanised parts than where I am locally. Im in more of a suburb.  Same with Jackdaws they almost never visit but there almost always in Hucclecote and Stroud. Recently the Jackdaws have bothered to do flyovers and pass over the house which is actually unusual cause they dont normaly make a presence at all. And I been wondering what that is all about. Jackdaws are an unlikely count for the Birdwatch but I can guarantee some of the ones that you had except from the Jay cause I dont get Jays. With Chaffinch they don’t turn up very often and only occasionally for some reason. I found out on the RSPB website This is the biggest weekend in the bird watching calendar. There was an explanation mark with a message and it said. This is the biggest weekend in the bird watching calendar, with flocks of you taking part in Big Garden Birdwatch. If the website slows down don't get in a flap, you've still got plenty of time to submit your results, so please come back later.
    I dont know about you but I find some of the wording like flocks of you and don’t get in a flap quiet funny

• Since you are takeing part in the Big garden Birdwatch and tend to take a photos I done forum where people can share there photos they took in the hour they counted during the big Garden Birdwatch so I was wondering if you want to share some you taken if you taken any. Would you like to share some of your garden birdwatch photos if you took any?
  • Hi Rob,  pity LTT didn't turn up with its mates as you know they are seldom alone but nice to also see the butterfly and the bank vole,       When I entered my counts I just put my email in and confirmed home address that I had signed up with as it seemed to give the option to submit without an account and just using email and address;    I hate the way you needed to re-register each time with different password to your usual rspb community one,    I tried the password I thought I had and it locked me out for 10 mins but then I went in with e-address and postal address without password and I entered my counts,