Big Garden Bird watch

Im going to take part in the Big Garden Bird watch. Last time I took part I mostly took pictures of and counted how many pigeons blackbirds and tits I saw but I also saw  some that werent written down to record. Like a Raven and a Chaffinch and potentially Red wing I think. The bird watch isn’t far away.  Is any one else going to join the Big garden Bird watch too ?  

•  For birds that are not listed there is ia a part where you can add birds that are not listed as they may not be as common nationwide and you can record those birds in the survey.

• Do you know know if theres also a part online on the Big garden birdwatch list where you can add birds that ant listed aswell?
  • Sorry I meant I count how many Birds I seen in the garden during a chosen hour If I seen any. But if I havnt seen any I count the birds in my local area instead like the Wildlife Orchard or the Wildlife trust Nature reserve Robinswood Hill. I get days where I have no birds in the garden at all usualy cause of the weather or something else. I didn’t realise how it sounded. Sorry about that. I meant to put hour instead of time aswell. I find the best hours to do the Birdwatch is when there more active like The morning, mid to late afternoon or the Golden hour exspeacialy since during those hours either the light is good which helps with seeing details on a birds plummage which can help identify what type of birds you see. or there just more active so more likely to see them. I find if you plan to take pictures of a bird   before or after puting how many of a species you saw the best time is during those hours exspeacialy during the Golden hour aswell cause the light can really bring out the details in there Plummages.

• Zo, you could do a 1 hour spell in your garden one day and do another 1 hour spell in the wildlife orchard the next. You do seem to be making a simple birdwatch quite unesserilly complicated
  • Sorry. I did go into a lot of detail to try and exsplain what I meant. Doing one hour in the garden one day and then another 1 hour spell in the Wildlife Orchard the next does sound like a good idea. Thanks. Out of curiosity are you taking part in the Big garden Bird watch aswell?
  • Yes Zo between us Chris and myself will cover the communal grounds around our little estate and the small wetlands reserve a few hundred yards away. We do regular surveys of local bird populations like many others on the forum
  • Zo Clark said:
    Sorry. I did go into a lot of detail to try and exsplain what I meant. Doing one hour in the garden one day and then another 1 hour spell in the Wildlife Orchard the next does sound like a good idea. Thanks. Out of curiosity are you taking part in the Big garden Bird watch aswell?

That sounds ok to me, making sure you show they are different sites, which I'm sure you will do.

Best of luck.

• Cool. when the big Birdwatch isn’t going on I go out for a hour most of the time anyway. When I go out somewhere specific locally I go birdwatching almost every single time and  I rarely go out without bird and Wildlife watching.  I almost always make sure I have the things I need like binoculars, telescope and camera. and if I don’t have my camera I make notes and also draw what I saw aswell cause I’m gifted at drawing.
    even when the bird watch isn’t going on when im out I identify the species of birds Iv seen and then count how many Iv seen and where. So I have had some practice doing it. I find it helpful for submitting Wildlife to things like eBird I record and I Naturalist and It helpful for things that need them . They normaly need to know what species youv seen, how many, and where. Except with some things they sometimes ask other details aswell like breeding plummage and what it was doing like migrateing or singing for example. and they ask what gender it is even it’s age. In the big garden birdwatch they dont tend to ask how old the bird is but they ask what species you saw and how many and where. Even though they dont include  deatails like age in the big garden birdwatch deatails like what species of birds you saw, how many birds you saw and where in that hour is still helpful for the RSPB and for the bird population aswell. Also I think the Big garden birdwatch is really fun.

• thanks. I found out the Big garden birdwatch is only 3 days away. Are you takeing part aswell?

• I have a big bag of seed in the car boot ready for the w/e

S