After the last few foggy days, todays walk exceeded all expectations.

A lovely Kestrel just waiting to be photographed.

A red kite just passing through

Magpie on the lookout

Two Great Tits minding their own business 

Beautiful Bullfinches

Excellent Yellowhammers 

• Wow...when the fogs clears out come the fabulous birds . Great captures ILR

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Thanks Linda, It was a day to remember for sure. The kestrel stayed for some time I am pleased to say and gave me time to take quite a few photos. The red bird that I had seen previously was the Bullfinch although with the sun on it when i had seen it in the past it looked red. At least the Mystery of the bird has now been solved.
  • Lucky you!
    Lovely to get the Kestrel letting you take its portrait as you got closer. And a great bonus to get the Bullies and Yellowhammers too, as well as the others..

Nige   Flickr

• Well thanks for sharing. The Kestral is a cracker..It is hard to tell sometimes looking up either with sun beating down or the sky being too dark the birds true colours. Glad the mystery is solved. Rain and wind on the way for me tomorrow Confused

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Your welcome Linda, I don't think we are getting it until evening so hopefully I may get out again.
  • Hi Nigel Yes I couldn't have wished for a better day, To see so many, I was over the moon.
  • Super shots ILR, looked a fabulous walk! :o)
  • Thank you PB, yes it was surprise after surprise, they don’t come that often with so many different birds in one day, but it was nice to make the most of it.
  • Oh, fabulous, ILR! Lucky you, to see all those wonderful birds on a single walk! Once this virus thing is over you could make money charging us mere mortals to give us guided walks where you walk regularly. I haven't seen a Yellowhammer in about 30 years. We must plan a holiday where we can see them again. As for male Bullfinches, depending on the light and the angle at which you are watching them, they can look any colour from almost deep red through deep or pale pink and even orange. I enjoy looking at the photos posted on http://surfbirds.com/ . It is not a secure site, but if you click on Gallery Search and enter a bird name, there are usually many photos posted by individuals, some of which you can buy. Of course, if you search for Bullfinch on their Gallery Search, you will see other birds also named Bullfinch in other parts of the world. There are currently 184 Bullfinch photos and one posted at position 161 (at the top of the second-to-last page, photos 161-180, when viewed on our laptop) and taken in Hungary, shows the male Bullfinch's breast as deep red, while many of the other photos run the whole range of possible colours. For more photos of American birds, I like Cornell's sites: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/ and: www.macaulaylibrary.org .

Kind regards, Ann

• Thank you Ann you were correct with the mystery of the Red breasted bird being a bullfinch, I was so pleased that I saw the bird again and this time managed a photo of it. and also got two for the price of one, I have only seen one yellowhammer on this walk before and another at a different walk, but yesterday I saw four so I was lucky.

Re Guided walks LOL. I am Indeed lucky that this walk is only a half a mile away from where I live
    at most I might see up to 5 people while I am there. I Think keeping very quiet and looking 30m or so in front with the binoculars trying to spot something is key. I am usually there for around three hours. Its funny sometimes you can get to the end of the walk and have not seen a thing, then on the way back its totally different. Thanks for the links Ann I will have a look.