How to increase the size of my photo?

I was lucky enough to get my best ever photo of a raptor in flight earlier this year.  There's a local competition I'd like to enter it into - the only problem is that they require all entries to be at least 1mb in size .......... mine is a magnificent 122kb!  Is it possible to increase the size without compromising the quality?  

I should mention that I have Photoshop Elements 14, which I hope will be capable of performing this miracle.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Hey Clare, are you sure that you've got that size right? The default pics on my camera are between 12 and 16 Mb. Most files that small are text files, not images?
  • You can re-size images. I'll go see if I still have PSE14 on an old machine in a bit, but in PSE19 it's Image, Resize, Image Size. Make sure you tick "Constrain Proportions" and alter the first Pixel Dimensions box (the second should alter automatically). Try making it 4x bigger & see what that does to the file size. In my experience, it can help give you a better image to print or view at a set size

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• Just tried with Alan's Buzzard (hope you don't mind Alan!) - changed the 777 pixel width to 3108 (4x), it has given me a 1MB file

ETA - once re-sized, you'll probably need to process as normal to get the best from the new image (I did nothing on the Buzzard)

___

• Thanks, Whistling Joe (genius!) - I'll try that in a while (once I've been through today's photos).

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Hmmmm ....... that's made no difference to the image size. Still 122kb.

• Clare Bailey said:
    Hmmmm ....... that's made no difference to the image size. Still 122kb.

That should have worked as WJ suggested.

Another possible option, does the file type need to be a .jpg?

If not, you could maybe try saving it as a .tiff or  perhaps a .png file.
    Not sure how this would affect image quality if zooming in on the photo though, maybe WJ could give a better explanation than I could as to whether this would be a viable option.

My bird photos HERE

• Clare Bailey said:
    Hmmmm ....... that's made no difference to the image size. Still 122kb.

Summat's not right there, you should have 16x the number of pixels (4x the width, 4x the length) so file size has to be bigger.  Are you then saving it at maximum resolution?  If you email me the pic I'll enlarge it & send back if you like

ETA - you're not "Saving for Web" are you?  That always shrinks file sizes.  If so, try normal Save instead & make sure to choose max size

___

• You did it ........yay! I don't know what I was getting wrong before. Thank you so much for that.

• By the way, I thought you might all like to see the photo causing the problem:

• Cracking photo capture Clare, definitely a winner there as its superb. Glad you managed to upsize it with WJ's help.

Regards, Hazel