Tonight's Moon 2020; share your photos here

The moon, not an easy subject to photograph.

However, during last years thread; Tonight's Moon 2019; share your photos here, there were some very good photos taken and shared, so to continue the theme, I've started the 2020 thread.

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/photography/200488/tonight-s-moon-2019-share-your-photos-here/1269266#pifragment-4285=1

Earlier tonight, the cloud was for once particularly thin, allowing the evening moon to shine through for me to grab a photo.

The full moon, which is around 10th January, and known as the Wolf Moon, the name given to the first full moon of the year, mainly because wolves are supposed to howl more with it being the mating season. Incidentally, foxes tend to be more vocal December to January, for the same reason, so I'm inclined to believe the same for wolves.

• Michael B said:
    You will hear sounds of mirth and revelry from the subterranean abode of the elves

Or from your neighbours if they happen to spot you! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WendyBartter said:

Michael B said:
    You will hear sounds of mirth and revelry from the subterranean abode of the elves

Or from your neighbours if they happen to spot you! Lol

I think they'd make a call for the men in white coats and yellow vans to look after me!  Joy

• Make you wear one of those funny back-to-front coats!RoflRofl

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WendyBartter said:
    Make you wear one of those funny back-to-front coats!

I think that's already happened! Fearful

• October's full moon is often known as the Hunter's Moon

Every three years, the Hunter's Moon is also the Harvest Moon. Traditionally, people in the Northern Hemisphere spent the month of October preparing for the coming winter by hunting, slaughtering and preserving meats for use as food. This led to October’s Full Moon being called the Hunter’s Moon, Dying Grass Moon, and Blood Moon or Sanguine Moon. However, this should not be confused with a Total Lunar Eclipse – Blood Moon.

But!          We’ve already had a full moon for October……

On Saturday, October 31, 2020, Halloween, in many countries, a Blue Moon will shine bright in the night sky. This Halloween Blue Moon, which is also a Micro Full Moon, is October's second Full Moon in many time zones.

A Blue Moon is very rarely blue.

What Is a Blue Moon?

There are two different definitions for a Blue Moon. A seasonal Blue Moon is the third Full Moon of an astronomical season that has four Full Moons. A monthly Blue Moon is the second Full Moon in a calendar month with two Full Moons.

The Full Moon on October 31, 2020 is a monthly Blue Moon. October's first Full Moon, and this year's Harvest Moon, was on October 1, 2020.

What Is a Micromoon?

A Micromoon is when a Full Moon or a New Moon coincides with apogee, the point in the Moon's orbit farthest away from Earth. Micro Moon: A Full or New Moon at apogee. October 2020 has two Full Moons. Both are Micro Moons—one on October 1 and another on October 31, depending on your time zone. The second Micro Full Moon is also a Blue Moon.

The Farthest Point

The Moon orbits Earth in an elliptical path, which means one side of the path is closer to the Earth than the other. The point in the Moon's orbit closest to Earth is called perigee, while the point in the orbit farthest from Earth is known as apogee. The average distance between Earth and the Moon is 382,500 kilometers or 237,700 miles.

When a Full Moon or a New Moon occurs around apogee, it's called a Micromoon, Minimoon or Apogee Moon. A Micro New Moon is a good time to stargaze.

What can you see in your night sky tonight?

A Full or New Moon occurs around perigee is called a Supermoon.

How can Full Moon be in the daytime?

May Look Smaller

Because a Micromoon is further away, it looks approximately 14% smaller than a Supermoon. In addition, the illuminated area appears 30% smaller, so it might look a little less bright.

What is the Moon Illusion?

There are no universal rules as to how far away the Moon must be to qualify as a Micromoon. Micromoon: A Full Moon or New Moon that takes place when the center of the Moon is farther than 405,000 kilometers (ca. 251,655 miles) from the center of Earth.Supermoon: A Full or New Moon that occurs when the center of the Moon is less than 360,000 kilometers (ca. 223,694 miles) from the center of Earth.Micromoon Affects the Tides. 

The greatest difference between high and low tide is around Full Moon and New Moon. During these Moon phases, the gravitational forces of the Moon and the Sun combine to pull the ocean’s water in the same direction. These tides are known as spring tides or king tides.

Micromoons lead to around 5 cm (2 inches) smaller variation than regular spring tides, called apogean spring tides. The tidal range is smallest during the 2 Quarter Moons, known as neaps or neap tide.

Natural Disaster Trigger?

Old folklore accounts suggest that Full Moons and Micromoons affect human mental health (hence the term: “lunatic”) and bring on natural disasters, like earthquakes, but no scientific evidence supports any such correlation.

The following was adapted from information on: timeanddate.com

• Gosh how amazing!

I took this photo this morning about 06h50 just as it was getting light & the moon was about 30minutes from going down. Not a great shot but was hand held with my macro lens, (there to photograph my moths). It's heavily cropped!

So may get lucky with moths tonight, once in a blue moon species.....

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Great pic H, lovely colour!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thanks Wendy, it really was that colour, but the sky wasn't that dark!

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Beautiful, Bob--thanks for posting. Hope you and your family stay well.

Kind regards, Ann

• From Halloween

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)