Tonight's Moon 2020; share your photos here

The moon, not an easy subject to photograph.

However, during last years thread; Tonight's Moon 2019; share your photos here, there were some very good photos taken and shared, so to continue the theme, I've started the 2020 thread.

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/photography/200488/tonight-s-moon-2019-share-your-photos-here/1269266#pifragment-4285=1

Earlier tonight, the cloud was for once particularly thin, allowing the evening moon to shine through for me to grab a photo.

The full moon, which is around 10th January, and known as the Wolf Moon, the name given to the first full moon of the year, mainly because wolves are supposed to howl more with it being the mating season. Incidentally, foxes tend to be more vocal December to January, for the same reason, so I'm inclined to believe the same for wolves.

• Not the moon but look out for MARS tonight which will be at its biggest/brightest when it lines up with the earth on the same side of the sun.

Regards, Hazel 

• Don't think Mars is going to be visible tonight unfortunately. Heavy cloud cover.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Unknown said:
    Don't think Mars is going to be visible tonight unfortunately. Heavy cloud cover.

oh, that would be a shame Tony,   we also have fairly thick cloud here too so will take another look out after 9pm and see if we can spot Mars;   if not I'll drive ten minutes to Jodrell Bank and borrow their telescope, that should do the trick    LOL    

Regards, Hazel 

• LOL. Even if it was visible I don't think my 400 mm lens would be up to the task. The resulting image would probably be only about 1 pixel wide.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Gonna clear here but not until 4 or 5 or 6 am!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• They were saying just use binoculars if you can get a clear enough sky. I bet your 400mm would get something Tony even if it's only a very bright dot ! @ Wendy, you shouldn't have to wait up till the wee small hours, start looking after 9pm ;)

Regards, Hazel 

• Unknown said:
    Wendy, you shouldn't have to wait up till the wee small hours, start looking after 9pm

Still raining here aitch til at least one or two in the morning, then still cloudy, new clear sky @ 07.00!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• It's been very bright in the sky for several weeks now, and unmistakeably red. If you manage to see it low in the sky towards the east (8pm ish), look southward and you'll see Jupiter setting with the somewhat duller Saturn following on behind. Saturn's rings are just visible through a small spotting scope or a very stable set of binos (as are Jupiter's moons). Best to look as soon as it gets dark though as the low position above the horizon has you looking through lots of atmosphere, so can be somewhat wavery. :-)

My bird photos HERE

• Was too cloudy here in the end to see anything sadly but hope some of you got to see Martians lol Thanks for the extra info Paul, if it was that low in the sky the trees here would block our view towards the range of East - South.

Regards, Hazel 

• Something I stumbled across recently, The Moon Dance, to be done when there is a full moon....

Run nine times round a fairy ring of mushrooms on the night of the full moon.
    You will hear sounds of mirth and revelry from the subterranean abode of the elves, who make this their dancing-green.