Tonight's Moon 2020; share your photos here

The moon, not an easy subject to photograph.

However, during last years thread; Tonight's Moon 2019; share your photos here, there were some very good photos taken and shared, so to continue the theme, I've started the 2020 thread.

https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/photography/200488/tonight-s-moon-2019-share-your-photos-here/1269266#pifragment-4285=1

Earlier tonight, the cloud was for once particularly thin, allowing the evening moon to shine through for me to grab a photo.

The full moon, which is around 10th January, and known as the Wolf Moon, the name given to the first full moon of the year, mainly because wolves are supposed to howl more with it being the mating season. Incidentally, foxes tend to be more vocal December to January, for the same reason, so I'm inclined to believe the same for wolves.

• Fabulous Bob, I've never seen a moonbow! Never heard of one, in fact!! Very atmospheric Linda... don't tell me you're going to start getting all arty-farty?? Scream

• Lol..Nah just being lazy PB as that was the only view from bedroom window .Wink

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Nice pictures everyone, just managed to get this before it went behind the clouds.

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Wonderful photo, Jim. Hope you are staying safe in these trying times.

Kind regards, Ann

• Thank you Ann, just doing what I can to keep out of trouble hope you stay safe to x

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Thanks, Jim, we are well and being safe.

Kind regards, Ann

• Sunday 15th November 2020, the UK will see a Super New Moon.

What is a Super New Moon?

Super and Micro New Moon

The Moon orbits Earth counterclockwise on an elliptical path, and the same side of the Moon always faces Earth. However, the Moon rocks slightly from north to south and wobbles a little from east to west. This motion, known as lunar libration, makes it possible, over time, to see up to 58% of the Moon’s surface from Earth, but only 50% at a time.

The point closest to Earth is called perigee and the side farthest point is known as apogee. When the New Moon is close to the perigee, it is known as a Super New Moon.

A micromoon, on the other hand, is when it is farthest from Earth, at apogee. It's also known as a Minimoon or a Mini New Moon.

From timeanddate.com

• Next full moon; in the UK, 09:29 Monday 30th November

• Michael B said:

Sunday 15th November 2020, the UK will see a Super New Moon.

What is a Super New Moon?

Super and Micro New Moon

The Moon orbits Earth counterclockwise on an elliptical path, and the same side of the Moon always faces Earth. However, the Moon rocks slightly from north to south and wobbles a little from east to west. This motion, known as lunar libration, makes it possible, over time, to see up to 58% of the Moon’s surface from Earth, but only 50% at a time.

The point closest to Earth is called perigee and the side farthest point is known as apogee. When the New Moon is close to the perigee, it is known as a Super New Moon.

A micromoon, on the other hand, is when it is farthest from Earth, at apogee. It's also known as a Minimoon or a Mini New Moon.

From timeanddate.com

Thanks for this info Mike, I was only saying yesterday that the last few days the moon has looked much bigger than usual, must be because it's closer.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Hazel C said:
    Thanks for this info Mike, I was only saying yesterday that the last few days the moon has looked much bigger than usual, must be because it's closer.

You're welcome.

Believe it or not, even I'm still learning some facts about the moon. Everyday is a school day.... Thumbsup