seagull - daily migration

i have recently moved to mid Devon and have noticed that every day at around dusk, today was 4.19pm, a gaggle of about 30 seagulls flies down the Exe valley towards Exeter... all very vocal and animated in their flight.

given the location... would it be feasible that the Seagulls are spending the daylight hours on the North coast and the night time hours on the South coast of Devon or could there be another explanation?

hope someone can provide a knowledgeable answer

thanks

• kerry g said:
    hope someone can provide a knowledgeable answer

Probably not by me.

Are you the same Guy that lived in/near Reading? If so nice to hear from you again. It's been a while.

Do you know what species of gull they were - I'm guessing possibly Black-headed. Here's a theory. BHG's may be thought of as sea birds but they spend a lot of time inland. I wonder if they could be feeding on farmers fields - maybe some ploughing going on for example - and then heading towards the coast or even the city to roost overnight. Or maybe there's an inland reservoir or lake where they might be feeding.

It would be interesting if someone more knowledgeable has other suggestions.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• As TJ says they are most likely returning from their daily foraging for food,the local landfill site could be a good bet or farmers ploughing.They will be heading for a communal roost often on a local reservoir or sheltered estuary,when I was visiting Exmouth a few years back this movement of gulls seemed to be nightly.Try contacting a local birding club ,they should have more ideas.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• helllooo! yes tis me... still watching birds but been busy with work etc...  

thanks for the answers... i don't know what gulls they are for sure (too high to get a positive ID).. but I would hesitate a guess at BHG's

i would guess that they make their way down to the Exe estuary, lots of wetland bird activity down there!