Common cranes

Just seen a skein of cranes pass over, estimated c.100 in a single V flight (Southern Dordogne), flying south.  They are very late, usually coming over about the last week of October.  I did see a group of three or four at that time but probably missed the main migration during the following weeks.

Roy B, Semper Sersum

• That does seem quite late. They were gathering in large numbers in Estonia when I was there in mid September.

I think they go to southern Spain, North Africa, Turkey and the Middle East.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• There are now quite large numbers of Cranes that linger in Germany (and possibly other countries in the region) until cold weather sets in. It may be that you saw some of these, moving off south-west as colder conditions arrive.

This article is from last year:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2011/12/2011121471057756324.html

• Hi each

TeeJay is right, the ones passing this way do go to North Africa or Southern Spain.  For the spring migration north, they rest up in les Landes, the region south of Bordeaux where they can be seen in large numbers towards the end of February, then they come over my way, usually some time in the afternoon.  Interesting bit from RoyW, I had guessed that some do linger for a while until the cold really sets in.

Also, because I don't see many on the winter migration, I believe they may fly over during the night, I have heard some quite late, about midnight.  Does any one have any thoughts on this ?

Next year I will try to get some better photos, using the camera I bought for my wife, which has a longer zoom than mine ! I will post the results whenever I get them, otherwise I will post the ones I already have.

Roy B, Semper Sersum

• FOFOF said:
    Also, because I don't see many on the winter migration, I believe they may fly over during the night, I have heard some quite late, about midnight.  Does any one have any thoughts on this ?

I believe a lot of migration takes place at night. There's a dutch website that tracks them for air safety purposes. http://www.flysafe-birdtam.eu/migration.php?radar=wier&subwindow=se

My gallery here

Checkout the forums' Community HOMEPAGE for lots of interesting posts from other members.

• Galatas said:
    I believe a lot of migration takes place at night. There's a dutch website that tracks them for air safety purposes. http://www.flysafe-birdtam.eu/migration.php?radar=wier&subwindow=se

The majority of birds complete the bulk of their migration during the night, although they will often continue moving after first light until they find themselves passing over suitable habitat (or they reach land!). The main exceptions to this are large species which make use of thermals (raptors, storks, etc), birds which feed on the wing (ie. Swallows and Martins), and many seabirds (which can be seen passing along the coast at any time of day). In most cases nocturnal migration is likely to help with predator avoidance.

Cranes will migrate either by day or night, rather than showing a preference for one or the other though, although they may prefer to find thermals, to gain height, before attempting sea crossings. Autumn migration does tend to be more drawn out than spring migration, and can take place over a period of several months, while the more hurried spring migration (of Common Cranes) tends to be concentrated into a period of 3-4 weeks in March and early April, because they need to reach their breeding areas in good time to ensure they have plenty of time to breed and raise young.

• Thanks Galatas and RoyW, you have confirmed what I had long believed.  Certainly the cranes on their spring migration north can be seen circling in the thermals due to the wooded hills locally, these are clearly visible from my house, and then reforming their V 's to fly further. Thousands pass over during daytime, but only a few are seen on the southerly flight in the autumn.

Roy B, Semper Sersum

• FOFOF said:
    Thanks Galatas and RoyW, you have confirmed what I had long believed.  Certainly the cranes on their spring migration north can be seen circling in the thermals due to the wooded hills locally, these are clearly visible from my house, and then reforming their V 's to fly further. Thousands pass over during daytime, but only a few are seen on the southerly flight in the autumn.

I would suggest that the most likely reason for the different numbers that you see during the spring and autumn would be that the Cranes are taking slightly different routes (eg, during the autumn it is possible that they detour to the north (or south) of where you live because there are better places to stop off and feed). It is also possible that different weather conditions during the two seasons mean that different routes are more advantageous during the two seasons (eg. perhaps they choose a route close to your house in the spring, but not the autumn, because thermals are far more likely during the spring).

This site ( http://champagne-ardenne.lpo.fr/English/e_sommaire.htm ) has very good summaries of the autumn, and spring (pre-nuptial) Crane migrations through France for the last 10+ years, and is likely to be of interest to you. 

• Unknown said:
    while the more hurried spring migration (of Common Cranes) tends to be concentrated into a period of 3-4 weeks in March and early April

Looks like the peak migration through France is slightly earlier (late February - early March) - although they do arrive on their breeding grounds slightly later!

• I just got back from a few days in Sauternes (near Bordeaux) - heard the bugling of what sounded like a good-sized flock of Common Cranes after dark last night :)

• Wow that's a long way to go to hear bugling- I go to Peterborough

:)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box