British Blackcaps?

I understand that British Blackcaps migrate for the winter and the ones presently in our gardens are European.  Can anyone tell me when these will leave to go home?  I have had 2 pairs at my feeders now all over the winter and will miss them when they have gone.

• Some hardy UK residents stay all year, the european ones return in the Spring. That is my understanding but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along with a definative answer. Your photograph is beautiful

Of all creatures, man is the most detestable, he is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
    ~ Mark Twain

• Thanks Judi, maybe my 4 are hardy UK ones and will stay, fingers crossed.

• You are very lucky to have them in your garden - I have only ever seen one Blackcap.

• As far as I know all the wintering birds are from central Europe. They have a genetic mutation or possibly more than one that makes them migrate the 'wrong way' (WNW rather than SW) so end up in the UK rather than in Iberia/N Africa where they are 'meant' to go. The new behaviour has proved highly successful - the 'mutants' survive really well and they also get back to central Europe earlier so grab the best breeding territories. Because this tactic is so successful this WNW-migrating subpopulation is increasing fast, and because they start breeding earlier they do not normally interbreed with those central European birds that still migrate SW.

It's not impossible that UK-bred birds could overwinter but there's no evidence that any of them do, especially given that the mutation arose in central Europe and did not stop migration but just changed its direction.

As for timing, most UK Blackcaps are back sometime in late March/early April. There could be some overlap between departing European birds and returning Brits.

GeoDave, loads of Blackcaps at Sevenoaks WR in spring/summer :)

• aiki - will the overwintering birds be singing just now?

I was sure I heard a Blackcap singing last week, but according to the RSPB identification page, most of the European birds are found in England.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• They do sing on and off while they're here. I've heard Blackcap singing in mid-Feb and someone I know has had one in his garden singing on and off since January. But there could be some early migrants back already, so it's pretty much impossible to tell for sure. Most European birds in Britain do winter in the south but there are increasing reports further north - not sure where you are but on balance I'd say it's more likely to be a wintering European than an early Brit :)

• Thanks for the info, aiki.

And Maria, what a lovely bird to have in your garden over the winter.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• Thank you for the information. I am in Southampton so just a ferry ride over to Europe.  It looks like my 2 pairs will be departing me soon then.  No wonder they are constantly on my suet block, feeding themselves up for the not so long journey home. :-)

• Thanks Aiki. I have an intense month of work coming up but hope to visit Sevenoaks Reserve a couple of times in the first two weeks of April. So hopefully some new birds around by then.