Migrating Geese?

My daughter and I this morning on her way to school saw what looked like several flocks of geese flying south (live near Glasgow). Would they be flying south at this time of year? Im sure it was geese, they made quite a lot of noise like geese and were flying in v shapes. Was quite unbelieveable because last night I had just watched a documentary about migrating geese and birds and found it really interesting so was amazed to see them this morning :-)
Heather

• Heather, they are probably moving from  overnight roosting site to grazing site, unless of course they could be giving you an advanced weather warning and saying it's about to get cold and nasty. I hope it is just going to feed.

Caroline in Jersey

Cin J

• Germain is probably right, they are moving to a grazing site............but the forecast is that we may be getting some of the white stuff towards the end of next week.

Claire

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• I think Germain is right,most likely moving out from a safe overnight roost to their preferred grazing areas,nice to see them in flight.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Heather, Totally by chance I was on a hilltop overlooking the river Clyde and Glasgow. this very morning. I also saw and heard several flocks of geese mostly Pinkfeet. so I have a strange feeling we may have seen same the same birds.

Since yesterday there has been an increase in large flocks of birds moving through this area, would not say they are coming off their overnight roosts to feed, I get the feeling they are moving around the country having been held up somewhere, by the weather, that as you know has been ***** dreadful (being polite here), with most of the really bad stuff coming in from the west, across the Atlantic.

Yesterday we had the first real change in the weather for several weeks, and for the first time large numbers of geese have started to come through without them having to fly head on into 100mph winds. .

• Allan I wasn't sure what kind of geese they were but what an amazing site. I have managed to get my daughter into bird watching now and she is going to do the great british bird count thing in a few weeks :-) Yes it was really cold yesterday compared to the wet spell we have been having so it could be they sense bad weather on the way :-(

• Totally agree Heather, the sight and the sound of large flocks of Geese is an awesome sight.  But you will be surprise what pass's over or very close to the city of Glasgow.

previous sightings over the last few years include. Northern Gannets, a White tailed Eagle. and a pair of Honey Buzzards over the SECC