Goose Watching

We spent an exciting hour or so late yesterday on a viewpoint at our local gravel pit,as the light was fading there were hundeds of geese flying in to roost nearby.It was a bit like watching old war films of bombers going over in WW11.The biggest number of geese were local Greylag and Canada coming in from feeding nearby but we also had small numbers of Pink Footed,Bean and White Fronted along with the odd Snow,Brent and Barnacle of suspect origins.We were able to watch this spectacle until the light made it almost impossible to see them.The sight and sound of movement like this is always a winter highlight for us and I suppose we are lucky not to have to travel very far to see it,well worth enduring the cold winds for and worth seeking out in your local area.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Saw loads of Pinkies and Brents coming in to roost the other day, as well as seeing my first ever White-fronts as well as some Barnacles (also of suspect origin). Went looking for some Bean Geese yesterday, but unfortunately missed out :( Was amazing to watch the Pinkies and Brents coming in in such massive numbers!! Brilliant day out :)

Home again, home again.

Check it: http://sarahwestsblog.blogspot.co.uk/

• Must be a thrilling sight, Seaman. I've only ever seen it on TV. We pretty much only get Canada round my way but they sometimes put on a small scale show coming back to the lake after a day's feeding.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I have to admit to really liking the sound of geese 'honking' as they come into land and are greeted by other geese. I do love the east coast in autumn/winter for that very reason.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 29/11/2011 20:57 in reply to MrsT

One of the best sights and sounds,in the world, and when its in complete darkness it's even better, a trip to the outer isles, especially Islay in winter is  to be on your wish list, even a walk around the Bowmore distillary is worth it

• That's my sort of birding Harrier

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• What a pity to have to see birds from a gravel pit. You should come to Strathbeg or Loch Leven.

A million voices for nature.

• Agree with you there Alexandra,but our site is only 10 mins drive away but not as atmospheric as your suggestions.

Pete

• Oh how I miss that sound + sight. There are some not too far from here but I'm busy at those times of day ;-( Keep meaning to go up to ELothian in Oct + see them there. Loved them coming into Strathbeg. But even better just sitting in the garden with a glass of white, watching them come over in waves as the sun set, those were the days!!

'In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks'  John Muir.       

Excuse wobbily dyslexic spelling!

• Yes were sorry to miss out on this when we had to call off our trip to Galloway due to my back problem

Pete

• I have been lucky working and surveying wild Geese for the last 7 or 8 years, the sight and sound as they fly, will always put a smile on my face. Watching Svalbard barnacle geese coming off the Solway roost first thing in the morning, is a sight and sound not to be missed, more so when flying high above the Barnie's.  thousands of Pinkfeet coming in off the roost as well. I think I spent every morning for five months getting up at stupid oclock. to be out on the reserve (Mersehead) to catch and hear the spectacle,

The day the Barnies left, the silence was almost unbearable.