Merlin?

I think I saw a merlin today.  I was at a local reserve in Rickmansworth when I saw a small bird of prey.  It looked a little like a hobby, but smaller.  It flew fast and quite high, in a sort of 'jinking' manner a little like the way a RNParakeet  flies, but smaller.  It seemed to do abit of a flap, flap glide action.  Looking at books, it could be migrating, but not sure this area is a likely location.  Never seen one before in my local patch, and only ever seen one once before,dashing in front of the car near Minsmere.  How likely does anyone think this is? (Will not tick this on my year list when I'm not sure!)

Toadflax.

• Toadflax said:

I think I saw a merlin today.  I was at a local reserve in Rickmansworth when I saw a small bird of prey.  It looked a little like a hobby, but smaller.  It flew fast and quite high, in a sort of 'jinking' manner a little like the way a RNParakeet  flies, but smaller.  It seemed to do abit of a flap, flap glide action.  Looking at books, it could be migrating, but not sure this area is a likely location.  Never seen one before in my local patch, and only ever seen one once before,dashing in front of the car near Minsmere.  How likely does anyone think this is? (Will not tick this on my year list when I'm not sure!)

I would think it is a bit early for Hobby but they may be in the South of the country by now.Our native Merlins do not really migrate except maybe altitudally when they follow their main food sauce i.e. Meadow Pipits but if the habitat is suitable you cannot really rule that out.It may remain one of those little mysteries that birding throws at us.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can