Waxwings

I came across 40 - 50 Waxwings in my street on 12th Feb. A fantastic sight and the first time I have ever seen them - I am 45 Year old!! Ian Archbold, Woodham, Newton Aycliffe.

• Hi Ian

Thanks for showing your photo's surprised to see so many berries left on the trees around you there seems to be none left down near me, at least the waxwings can have another good feed before they set off home.

Shane

Regards Shane

My Photos in Flickr.

• Yes I know. They absolutely loved that tree. I was practically in there with them. It was a priviledge to watch them - so tame!

• Hi Ian

A warm welcome to the Community from me. :-)

It must have been a great sight to see them at such close quarters.

There are lots of threads about waxwings recently as they are her in such great numbers this year. If you wanted to you could search for waxwings to see more photos. :-)

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• I particularly like your fourth photo.

Following up reported sightings, I managed to see waxwings for the first time in my life (in three parts of south London) between 25 Jan and 6 Feb this year - although they seem to have moved on elsewhere completely since. I'm aged 51.

I see from the Birdguides website that there has been a new waxwing sighting (not sure whether a flock or just one bird) in Blaenau Ffestiniog, in Snowdonia. There haven't been many sightings in west - or south - Wales recently. Will it still be around for St David's Day?

• Did anyone watch 'Natural World' on BBC Two (mainly about grizzly bears in Canada). A brief shot of a Bohemian waxwing 6 minutes' in. There was also a flock of birds 26 minutes into the Alice Roberts 'Horizon' - but I think starlings not waxwings.

Is this website a new one? http://www.itvwild.com/

• 0900 5th March 2011 - At least 20 waxwings on a TV ariel in Meadow Grove, Bilsthorpe, Notts (NG22 8TQ).  I also have never seen them before

• They are such colourful birds aren't  they and like you this is the first time I have ever seen these birds and I am older than you.  There were about 20 sitting on a neighbour's tv aerial this morning and they were frightened off by two jackdaws.  They came back again though to sit in our apple tree.  I wonder when they will return home?  What camera do you have? cos this is a lovely pic - I want to buy a new one to photgraph the birds.

Be nice - one world for everyone.

• Hi I like you have spotted the beautiful Waxwing, but the weather was bad,dull, overcast. It was in Woking, i managed to get some videos and photos, but not good quality. I can pick out they are Waxwings, because of their shape and flight pattern and also sounds. You were very lucky to have such great photos. I hope i will get another chance to see them in a better light!

• Hi Jenny. I do not have a particulalrly expensive camera - it is a Fujifilm finepix S5700 - 7.1 megapixel. I think it was around £80 - £90 at Tesco of all places.  Had it for about 3 year now. There are some better pics on this forum than mine and judging by the quality of some of them I'd say some of the cameras used are  very good ones - probably expensive too, though.  Regards Ian

• Hi Amber. Yes I am lucky and feel quite privileged to have seen them. Keep watching - you never know when they may reappear. Ian