Migration? Kinda...

There is a pair of Mute Swans locally that have attempted to nest by a pond in the middle of a housing estate where I live but there is nowhere suitable for a nest, due to the pond having a fence all the way around it. Last year they went to another local but more remote pond and hatched 7 cygnets. As soon as they were able to waddle, the parents walked the babies back to the other pond where they knew they would get more attention and food given to them. This was maybe a mile or just over and involved crossing several roads. They all made it and now the parents have gone back to their breeding pond and left the 7 offspring on the urban pond.

• Saw that in a local park with a lake the other week. Adult swan trying to chase off a younger one with full white plumage but grey-ish bill. Young un wasn't keen on leaving!

• One of the swans was super bold today and came straight out of the water to try and take the food straight out of my hand. I've seen others hand feeding them at the other pond but I didn't fancy doing that myself and quickly threw some on the floor and some in the water!

• A floating swan food from a local animal feed store. It's supposed to go in the water anyway, so I figure they shouldn't be eating it dry?

• I'm not too keen on eating bread myself these days, it has so many nasties in it.

• It's all this non-fatty monoglycerides type stuff that puts me off. As for fortified flour; have you ever looked up how they make thiamine and the like? If it don't go in me, it don't go in my feathered friends either!

• Off on a bit of a tangent there but hopefully people will read that post and realise how horrible mass produced bread is!
  • Same here about the bread unhealthy thing.  There was a thing going on in my area with signs and what not where people tend to feed ducks and swans that says to try not to feed birds like ducks and Swans bread cause it’s unhealthy for them and gives people alternatives and there’s Duck and swan food In the shops where I am aswell but people still feed them bread. One good example I have is a place called Saintbridge Balanceing pond nature reserve where they get swans ducks, herons and kingfisher. But they get rats which there trying to not encourage but asking visitors not to feed bread but there’s allways bread crumbs on the floor and people still go over and feed them. Some throw it on the floor for the ducks And for the swans when they show up.  others throw it in the water for them. People do the same at a  canal I visit called Gloucester and Sharpness Canal but there isn’t a sign there that advises against feeding them. With bread When people throw it on the floor it’s hard for them to swallow but in the water they put the bread under water then eat it or just hoover it up but either way it’s still not healthy for them. I think maybe not everyone is aware that Duck and swan food exists and they don’t know what else ducks and swans eat so feed them bread. 

• It's pretty cheap where I buy it, too. It is £1.65 for 600g or they do a big sack for £29.99. I normally just buy 4 or 5 of the small bags.
  • Yes Iv seen the small ones in shops before but Iv also seen the same duck and swan food pellets as the small ones except big ones kind of like mini cookies Except there not in a proper big big bag just medium sized. duck and swan food products are designed to float so they don’t fall under water and contaminate the water. and cause of that it’s easier for birds like swans to notice them and not miss any.