[2020] Arrival of Swallows and House Martins

Here in South Cambridgeshire, I've seen my first Swallow (Sunday 5th April) and my first House Martin (today, Thursday 9th April). 

Will be on the lookout for the Swifts next!

Anyone else seen any of these birds already this year? If so, where and when? 

• We had Swallows around on the 4th April in SW France & I saw some House martins around a nesting site 2 days ago, but others have seen them around here since the end of March. Also heard my first nightingale tonight.

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• We have HM nests on our house and a neighbours but no sign of any birds yet in South Suffolk

Tony

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wherryman/

• We have a pair of swallows. First one arrived 05/04, second 08/04. A third checked us out also on 08/04, but left the same day. South-West Wiltshire.
  • We don't get swallows or housemartins here, though a nearby National Trust property does have swallows.

I doubt I'll get to see them this year, unless this lockdown is lifted, so they'll just be memories.

But, I'm on the lookout, you never know.....

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

Fingers crossed for you, Mike. You never know, you might have a few fly over where you are

Stay safe,
  • In reply to Jack Stevens:

Jack Stevens said:
    Fingers crossed for you, Mike. You never know, you might have a few fly over where you are

Stay safe,

They often fly over, but not from local nesting sites.

I've had some cracking close proximity photos of a swallow nest from a local Nat Trust, this is from a couple of years ago, mum feeding the chicks

While dad is monitoring the passing public, many unaware of the activity just above their heads!

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Although the House Martins arrived first, perhaps more than a week ago as I heard them long before I spotted one..... I have just seen the first Swallow today perched up on the telephone cable sitting pretty under a blue sky and in sunshine; (Cheshire).

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Saw two swallows for the first time today (25th April) in Banchory, NE Scotland.
  • Swallows in Oxford for the past few days
  • I saw swallows flying in and out of stables in Stratford sub Castle, near Salisbury, yesterday. I suspect they were nest building.