Swallow Arrival Question

About two weeks ago, I saw my first swallow of the year and then another a couple of days later (woohoo, summer's here!).  But since - nothing.  Is it just the recent good weather that makes me think they should be here in significant numbers by now?  When does the swallow peloton normally arrive in southern England?

• I can't say when they start to arrive in number Falco but there are only a few yet up here in Sheffield

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Only seen a couple of dozen down here in Devon and none seem to be hanging around. I don't know how the immigration works - at first I thought first ones back might grab the  southern spots but maybe not so - maybe the first ones back head further North  first.

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• In reply to Bobs_Still_Retired:

They're not all coming up here, Bob! Only seen a couple so far. However, I guess now the first ones have arrived, seemingly swept up with the Sand Martins, the rest can't be too far behind.

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Nigel O:

Seen several Swallows in the south east but not in great numbers. The northerly cold head wind maybe holding them back. we need a warm southerly to help.  Like us all they are now waiting for good weather forecast.

• In reply to Derek C:

I am not 100% sure bit we normally see ours, up in Caithness (at the very top of Scotland) any time now. A few have already been sighted.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• In reply to Catlady:

Got two passing over today while I was out sightseeing (in Devon)  with Mrs Bob - they had a quick feed and moved on.

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• In reply to Bobs_Still_Retired:

Great photos, Bob.  Thanks for posting them, and thank you all for the replies.  Still no more swallows here in north Bucks, but we have had a couple of cold days.  I remember a couple of years ago, cuckoos (with tracker devices) arrived in southern England during bad weather, so turned back to France for an extended vacation.

Didn't even hear any cuckoos last year after a couple of good sightings the previous two years - slight change of subject there...

• In reply to FalcoJock:

When walking the dog this morning, I saw 3 swallows chasing each other round the roof tops in the village.  And then this afternoon saw a fair few catching insects over the waters of the Great Ouse, and around the cattle in adjacent fields.  My daughter tells me they have also returned to their nest sites around the stables where she works.

Great to see them back.