BIRD MIGRATION HELP, EXPERTS NEEDED!

I am a Dance student in the Colchester area and am looking for help on Bird Migration. We have recently received our A level dance exam paper and one of the questions is to create a dance based on Bird Migration! This topic is very interesting, but us dancers have a limited amount of knowledge of this topic, so we need your help! We want to branch out of the typical areas of research such as websites and learn interesting things as well as facts! If any bird migration experts could kindly help me and my fellow dance students in our research stage by providing us any primary knowledge/research any of you may have, interesting stories and where we should focus our research and what on? Thank you ever so much, any information and advice will be extremely helpful!
  • Hi again Jasmine

I agree with northdevonfocus - the BBC Earthflight series could be excellent in providing ideas, and as it has just been repeated over the holiday period, several of the programmes are still available on BBC iPlayer  - link here

These may be taken down soon, but there is also lots of content from the series on Youtube if you search for "bbc earthflight" - like this clip, a favourite of mine

• Hi Jasmine I have read the earlier posts, a theme around the fidelity that a migrant species has to return to the same spot year after year, particularly the raprtors, also that the new birds bred in the north go south but do not return the following year, returning only when of breeding age (2-3 years old) thinking particularly of many wader species. paul

• It sounds like whoever set the exam has an interest in birds!

I know nothing about dance, but I'm assuming that the assignment involves creating a dance for a group? If that is the case then I would suggest choosing a species like Swallow or House Martin. These species will tend to lead fairly separate lives while they are breeding during the summer but will then gather in large flocks before migration. They will then wait for suitable conditions before heading south pretty much in unison.