black woodpecker sighting?

Earlier this morning I was cycling through Ashton Court in Bristol, and heard a woodpecker noise.  I looked over and in a tree hollow there was a medium-sized bird, which looked entirely black, that looked back at me and then turned around to carry on tapping at the tree with its beak.

I've had a look online and this appears to be a black woodpecker, which is unusual for the UK..?  Should I be reporting this anywhere?

• Ok it was black with a red head. Any thoughts?
  • It could well have been a Starling with a stained face/head from the pollen of a New Zealand Flax plant. Granted it would have been orange not red, but from a distance or a fleeting sighting, a Starling pecking at a fat ball or peanuts or similar could appear to be a larger black coloured bird with a red head and displaying a similar action to that of a woodpecker on a feeder. (Just a thought...)
    Where I used to live in South East England we had lots of tropical and exotic plants planted in the development that I lived at, and these orange headed Starlings were a fairly common sight.
  • Great Spotted Woodpecker? It would presumably appear mainly black with red on the head, if seen from behind. (I've only ever seen them sideways on at the very top of a tree, like the Christmas tree fairy, so what do I know?)
  • Hi

a Black woodpecker hammering at a tree is audible over 100 yards away- sounds like someone hitting the tree with a baseball bat!

A Green or Great Spotted woodpecker in the shadow of a tree would look black if no optical aids were used

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• I know what a Great Spotted Woodpecker on a tree sounds like, but the bird in question here was on a bird feeder, and presumably eating rather than drumming.

• Hi

how long is the bird feeder ? :)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• I think we need more information regarding how long the sighting was, how far away the feeders were when it was seen, and time of day or lighting... I think though that this won't be resolved any time soon...
  • Agreed Paul- and there is one feature that hasn't been mentioned yet- and its very obvious in the field normally :)

S

• Here's some photos of what I was talking about regarding the Starlings. Filg, was this the sort of thing you may have seen? It's exactly like the Starlings I used to see in my old place.

www.irishgardenbirds.ie/.../Starling-pollen-_9249DC.jpg
  • rspbailey, not all of us carry such technology around, my phone is not capable of that but I still manage to see the occasional rare bird and get the record accepted. At one time birders always had a notebook and pencil in their jacket pocket and wrote down field notes of birds seen and maybe sketched birds, even a basic sketch backed by notes can help i.d. a bird without a photo.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can